collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues come to Texas lopin' like a mule, you take a high-brown woman, man she's hard to rule - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Got The Blues

Author Topic: The weather  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
The weather
« on: March 03, 2018, 07:35:01 AM »
View out of our window, 6:30 am this morning, upstate NY, southern Adirondacks:

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: The weather
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
Wow, that is beautiful, Mark, but I don't imagine that weather helps all that much with doing the chores!  Those Snow Belt winters can be tough.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
Edinburgh yesterday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
Looks like a good time to stay close to the fireplace, Prof!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
South West England yesterday...  2 days off work.  Couldn't get out of the village...

PS- I have no clue how that has ended up upside down.  Its the right way up on my pc!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:00:57 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
Yes I heard that blighty was getting clobbered by ?the beast from the east? at the same time as NE USA was being hammered. The scenery is fabulous though, when we get time to slow down and just enjoy it. Take life as it comes folks!  :D

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
T' Snow In Action!

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
Snow in Weardale...we were snowed in for 4 days, just dug myself out today to go for supplies

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
This might melt the snow quicker ;D

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
Power was out here for 36 hours, came back on an hour ago. Trees coming down on power lines mostly due to the very heavy wet snow load and winds. I'd make a terrible Amish, they live year round without electricity.

Wow, that is some depth of snow Ned, or one huge drift, especially for the UK. Canadians would see that often or so I have heard.

I've been experimenting with snow fence this year to keep the driveway less deep in drifting snow. It's kind of a 'permaculture' snow fence, tree top brushwood from an ash that blew down last year near the house. I dragged the tops down there with the tractor and set it all up about 30 feet away from-, and parallel-to, the driveway, in the path of the prevailing westerly wind. I was very happy to find that it worked pretty good, the drifts formed between the fence and the drive and it was much easier to keep the road open.

Offline harriet

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »
View out of our window, 6:30 am this morning, upstate NY, southern Adirondacks.
Wow. I'm in Queens and we got no snow really - a friend in Oregon wrote to ask if I was ok, the storm made the news out there. Really windy though.

Harriet
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:55:14 AM by harriet »

Offline alyoung

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
As autumn (fall) approaches in New Zealand, temperatures in the north (where I live) are still in the 80s, the garden has to be watered every day and the air condo gets a hammering.

Offline islandgal

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
For those Weenies in the Northern Hemisphere, here are a few blues songs about winter weather, which may soothe your soul, if not your soles.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsupreme/2013/01/17/169642632/5-blues-songs-that-feel-your-midwinter-chill

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
Al,

They, or we probably, since I've probably been here long enough by now, say 'autumn' in the States as well as 'fall'. I was surprised. They're interchangeable. This is handy when you need to add or lose one syllable while composing a seasonal haiku.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
We had a couple of days of sunny clear weather. The power co had a chance to repair some of the damage around the region but not all of it. I had a chance to shovel megasnow off the back porch roof, and also skid off it. Fortunately I was able to right myself just before going over the edge and hop the eight feet into a nice big pile of snow.

Snow warnings started coming in, another nor'easter winter storm on its way. This time I wanted to be ready with serious backup power, we lost a lot of work when the lab freezer was out, our 8K generator couldn't handle it.

I extricated the tractor from its snowbound shed, dug my way up the hill with the loader bucket, attached the PTO generator that we got with the tractor, a 1976 John Deere 2240 btw, for any tractor geeks among us, and parked it outside the house close enough to plug in to the cable from the transfer switch. It can power the whole creamery and workshop, plus well pump & controller and other essential house circuits. Makes a helluva racket running the tractor at PTO rpm's but nothing's perfect.

Snow started around midnight, this was the scene this morning. Nice light fluffy snow this time which was refreshing after the heavy wet stuff last time. It's still snowing, 7 PM, lights are still on so far.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
Just dug myself out of 12'' or so in western Mass. Last week I was looking at flowers poking through the mud!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
Western Mass eh? We're practically next door. Relative to the size of this country anyway. It still blows my mind after 13 years here just how vast and diverse the USA is.

Latest snow here has so far been a bit of a fizzer, which is a kiwi term for 'not quite living up to expectations'. Of course if I hadn't burned half a day staging the tractor / generator things would have been different so I figure it was a good rehearsal for the next real snowpocalypse.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
We've had two more snowy nor'easters since my last post. Spring arrived two days ago and we're still somewhat snow challenged. But the thaw is in and no snow predicted as the planet, well actually the ecliptic, tips inexorably towards summer. Jeez, what a relief!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:16:15 PM by Rivers »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal