collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Women are like wet bars of soap. Hold on to 'em too hard and they pop outta your hands - John Lee Hooker

Author Topic: Lyric transcription requests  (Read 22120 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Lyric transcription requests
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:25:35 AM »
Hi all - For some reason, I just noticed that we don't have a sticky topic explaining in general the way that lyric transcriptions and requests are dealt with on Weenie, so better late than never.

Pretty simple: When asking for lyrics or help with lyrics, the best approach is to post what you have transcribed yourself first. Then other people can jump in and offer suggestions, corrections, references to other lyrics etc.

We realize English is not the first language of everyone who visits the forum and there will be exceptions to the above.

Thanks!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Lyric transcription requests
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
Also, please transcribe every line, the "x2" thing is usually inaccurate, even if it's only an accent word, "well", "oh" etc

Not being anal or anything.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Dare I also mention the proper use of capitals and never that awful lower case text message stuff  >:(
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline ArthurVR

• Howdy!
    • Vr store
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:49:11 AM »
I can translate the lyrics in some languages.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 01:58:19 PM »
Hi all,
I thought this would be a good time to give an update on the status of the Country Blues Lyrics board.  Because I've known for some time that the lyric threads are of little educational value if they don't include performance videos of the songs being transcribed, I have added performance videos to virtually every thread on the board, with the exception of ones where no version of the performance could be found on youtube or I didn't know how to search, as in the case of some of the prison field recordings, or ones that asked for help in writing original lyrics, or questioned the origin of a turn of phrase encountered in Country Blues lyrics.  As you can imagine, this took some time to do.

For that reason, I would like to suggest new posting protocols for the Country Blues Lyrics board:
   * When posting to a pre-existing thread a new song for which a transcription has not previously been posted, or starting a new thread with a request for lyrics to a song or the lyrics for a song, complete or in progress, please attach a performance video of the rendition that is being transcribed.
   * If you know that there were multiple takes of the song you're posting the lyrics to, please name the take of the song that you're transcribing and make sure that the video you attach is of the same take.  I should note that this procedure was observed scrupulously in the Blind Lemon Jefferson Lyrics thread, and it made all of the difference in the world in being able to match up the right videos with the right sets of lyrics.  (Speaking of the Lemon Jefferson lyric thread, what an amazing collaborative achievement!  Kudos to all who contributed.  I added videos up to page 22 of the thread, of which there are 49 pages.  There are some alternate takes listed after that, but I don't know if they made it into Weeniepedia.  I will check on that.)

Please do observe these new guidelines.  I'd prefer not to be put in the position of adding performance videos to new posts on this board in perpetuity.  Thanks for your help in this, going forward.  I'm really glad to have done it because I think the board will be so much more effective as a learning and listening place now.

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:00:22 PM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »
Fantastic job. It makes such a difference having the performance videos right there on the page. Many thanks for this mammoth task!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the good words, Prof!  I had been pecking away at it for the past year or two, but in the past couple of months realized that devoting more time to it and just blitzing it for a while could actually get the job done.  I really enjoyed returning to some of these threads and re-visiting the collaboration and good humor that went into the transcription work.
all best,
Johnm

Offline islandgal

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 03:51:43 PM »
John, this is so valuable, so thanks for all your effort bringing this up to date. It has prompted me to go back and review many posts, and I look forward to doing a lot more of that, especially for musicians that I wasn't familiar with. What a terrific resource! Many thanks John and those who perpetuate the practice going forward.
Jean

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »
Thanks very much John! Your hard work is very-much appreciated

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 11:00:21 PM »
Thanks, Jean and Thomas, I appreciate it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline harriet

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 07:45:51 AM »
Thanks as well

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 07:57:53 AM »
Thanks John for all you efforts and hard work.

Offline eric

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 11:04:16 AM »
Same.  This is an amazing resource, and going back through these threads with the recordings added has been really fun.
--
Eric

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
Quite an undertaking- and much appreciated.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the good words, Harriet, Stuart, Eric and Simon.  I'm enjoying the threads too, now that the work is done.
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal