collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Why don't you just save yourself some time and see things my way? - Mrs. Page

Author Topic: Lightnin' Special JSP 7790  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Lightnin' Special JSP 7790
« on: April 26, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »
The following is from the latest Roots & Rhythm newsletter. Being rather partial to Mr. Hopkins I'm probably biased but what the review fails to note are the excellently informative individual booklets that accompany each CD. The choice of the "remaining artists" bear witness how, to a one degree or another, the postwar downhome Texas tradition of LH manifested itself in the recordings of others. In this respect Manny Nichols has always been a particular favourite of mine. I've scanned the track list from the reverse of the slip-case.

LIGHTNIN' HOPINS & OTHERS Lightnin' Special
JSP JSPCD 7790   $28.98
Complementing JSP 7705 this features all the rest of the recordings made by Lightnin' made before he was discovered by a white audience. There are 47 tracks by Lightnin' including his fantastic Herald sides recorded in 1955 and '56 and featuring some of his most hard driving material. The rest of this 106 track four CD set is devoted to some of Lightnin's fellow country blues performers from Texas including 9 tracks by Lightnin's friend and occasional drummer L.C. Williams where he is accompanied by Lightnin'. The remaining artists are all superb including Lil' Son Jackson, Manny Nichols, the wonderful singer and piano player Thunder Smith, Soldier Boy Houston, Ernest Lewis and Frankie Lee Sims (his earliest sides). Many of these tracks have been reissued elsewhere but it's great to have them all assembled in one spot.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Lightnin' Special JSP 7790
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks Bunker I'll be looking out for that one.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal