collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now folks, I'm gonna give you a little of Old Dan Tucker, containing more heterogeneous constipolicy, double flavor and unknown quality than usual - Uncle Dave Macon

Author Topic: Pioneers of the Blues Revival  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Pioneers of the Blues Revival
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:50:24 AM »
Pioneers of the Blues Revival
By Steve Cushing
Publisher University of Illinois Press (due Spring 2013)

Interviewees: Paul Oliver, Sam Charters, Pete Whelan, Dick Waterman, Gayle Dean Wardlow, Robert Dixon, Bob Koester, John Broven, Ray Flerlage, Mike Rowe, Jim O'Neal, Dick Spottswood, Jacques Demetre, Phil Spiro, David Evans, Chris Barber, Chris Strachwitz.

I'm trying to acquire photos of the interviewees and the names they invoke in the course of their interview. I have roughly two more weeks before deadline if it's to be published in spring of 2013.

Steve tells me that several whom he contacted declined the invitation to be interviewed for this project, with laudable modesty no doubt.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Pioneers of the Blues Revival
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:00:32 AM »
Should be some pretty interesting tales in there. I look forward to it.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »
Thanks for letting us know about this, Bunker.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »
One person who couldn't be interviewed was the late Mike Leadbitter but, lest we forget, here's a truncated on-line obituary which originally appeared in Blues Unlimited at the time of Mike's death.

http://www.recordsbymail.com/MikeLeadbitterBluesUnlimited.php

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:46 AM »
When I ran into Prof. Longhair in Carnaby Street in the early 1970s, on realising I knew something about this music, he asked me if I knew "Mike Legsbitter" [sic]! I explained that I didn't know him personally but was very familiar with his writing.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:57:14 AM »
I note that Illinois have already got this on their site but not due until July.

http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/25pzt3np9780252038334.html

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
Thanks for the update, Alan.

Offline jphauser

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
The book is now available.   Amazon is selling it for $67.50 ($75 list price).  The Kindle edition is almost $50 less at $18.59. 

Jim

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
At that price one would expect rather more from the "look inside feature" and also on Amazon UK. A great expense. As some one once sang "How can a poor man stand such times and live?".

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:13:40 PM »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »
Due at Amazon UK July 25th - 47GBP

They've made available Steve Cushing's very short preface, Barry Lee Pearson's introduction, and Paul Oliver's entry. I guess the same goes for Amazon.

Offline jphauser

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »
At that price one would expect rather more from the "look inside feature" and also on Amazon UK. A great expense. As some one once sang "How can a poor man stand such times and live?".

I've never seen such a huge price difference between hardcover and Kindle editions.   If I see similar differences for other titles in the future, it may be time for me to invest in a Kindle or some other device.

But I'll get a copy of this particular book from my local public library in Florida.  It probably won't buy it, but, after about 3 months from the date of publication, it will borrow it for its patrons from a library that has it, probably a university library.   Hopefully, libraries in Europe do the same kind of thing.
Jim

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »
I just went through the titles on first couple of pages at UI Press' "Music In American Life" series to see if I could figure out if there's any obvious formula regarding HB vs. PB and/or pricing:

http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/find_books.php?type=series&search=MAL&viewed=0

There is generally a spread between HB and PB pricing, as one would expect, but there are exceptions. Usually the cloth editions are priced high (but not always) and for libraries and people with a strong interest in the subject and/or those with a love of books, and the PB editions are more affordable and priced to be within reach of everyone else. Let us hope that the PB edition will be published at some point--sooner rather than later. Until then, it's time to submit a purchase request to my local library.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »
This looks like a fascinating book but the pricing is going to cause many to pass this up. I usually like to have the hard copy but this time I'll purchase a digital copy for my ipad. I'll be reading this on my vacation that starts tomorrow and I'll try and give a review when I return.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 06:11:49 AM »
As a rule I tend to stay out of debates of this nature but I think the publishers are extremely short sighted in their pricing policy.

Steve Cushing's laudable book will fail to be read by those who would most benefit from it. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Personally I prefer books to read rather than Kindle screens (or similar).

Does  anybody know what the RBF and its high profile membership make of it? I'm told Facebook is the place for campaigning, now's the chance.  ;D

That's enough soapboxing from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal