collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I passionately hate the idea of being with it; I think an artist has always to be out of step with his time - Orson Welles, 19151985

Author Topic: bukka white/howlin wolf at newport  (Read 1073 times)

Offline lampens

bukka white/howlin wolf at newport
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:31:30 AM »

Does anybody have a clue as to what tuning he is using and what the name of the song is?

I can't figure it out. The low e is tuned to F#. it sounds ok for the most if the rest is tuned down to open g tuned about a half step down. The end tag then again, the way he fingers it on the g and high e string seems to work in that fingering only when tuned to a d minor flat tuning, which sound wrong for all the rest of the song. I tuned the strings all over the place and now I'm completely lost. What the hell is he doing?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:41:11 AM by lampens »
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: bukka white/howlin wolf at newport
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »
Fsharp/Csharp/Fsharp/Aflat/Csharp/Fsharp (or tune to open Dminor and capo at 3rd fret)?

Offline lampens

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:24:31 AM »
Hey that sounds about right. keeping the finger at the first fret g string makes it sound ok. the only trouble now is that when sliding i have to keep that open g string from ringing out.

Man, that poor guitar of his. :)

Thx I'm gonna try this.
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »
the only trouble now is that when sliding i have to keep that open g string from ringing out.

Right at the end of the clip, there's a good shot of how Booker keeps his first finger on the third string to mute it when he's sliding.

Offline lampens

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
You're right, good eye.

Duke Ellington

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal