collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me - Alberta Hunter

Author Topic: The Sherlock of Shellac: John Tefteller (YouTube Video)  (Read 807 times)

Offline Hamhound

Re: The Sherlock of Shellac: John Tefteller (YouTube Video)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2023, 04:28:40 AM »
Thanks Stuart.

It's interesting, but - as I decided at around the 19 min mark - peripherally interesting.
I have a couple of thousand or so records, and I love em - but I don't love them quite enough perhaps, as some do - and on reflection, I would hate to earn my living buying and selling them.

Nevertheless - what John Tefteller has done with his own blues 78s in transcribing them and reissuing with his calendars is just the most awesome achievement and a kind of 'reverse' of the hoarding collector mentality in some ways - it's totally laudable.
Instead of being all like "Ah but my copy of Fence Breakin’ Yellin’ Blues sounds better than than all the others you've ever heard, so lucky me" - instead he's been like, "And.... here it is on the new CD - Enjoy, for only a few bucks".

And that has just been an awesome approach he's taken there
And I think the blues listening world owes him a debt of gratitude.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: The Sherlock of Shellac: John Tefteller (YouTube Video)
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 05:07:33 PM »
And I think the blues listening world owes him a debt of gratitude.

Absolutely.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal