collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My motto is; if you don't hit some 'wrong' notes once in a while you're not trying hard enough - Mitch Holder on playing live, Interviews With The Jazz Greats

Author Topic: King Nawahi's Tickling the Strings  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
King Nawahi's Tickling the Strings
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:03:18 AM »
Hi All,
I have worked out the whole of the lead part (melody) of King Nawahi's Tickling the Strings. I am prepared to swap this with anyone who either has, or wants, to nut out the chord progression including the passing chords and stuff. I find myself with a really heavy schedule for the next couple of weeks and won't be able to devote the time needed to come to grips with the rhythm part.
I worked out the tune for mandolin rather than lap steel and have notated it in standard format rather than tab but it is in the same key (F) and is identical to the way King Benny plays it.
Look forward to hearing from any takers.
Cheers,

Chris

Offline mr mando

Re: King Nawahi's Tickling the Strings
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:29:22 AM »
Chris,
from the top of my head, the changes should be something like this:

First part
F///|F///|F///|C7///|C7///|C7///|C7///|F///||
F///|F///|F7///|Bb///||
Bb/B?/|C7/C#?/|F/E7Eb7|D7///|G7///|G7///|C7///|F///||

Second part
C7///|C7///|F///|F///|C7///|C7///|F///|F///||
C7///|C7///|F///|F///|D7///|G7///|C7///|F///||

It's been more than a year that I last played that tune on rhythm guitar (the steel player played it out of G tuning instead of A tuning as Bennie Nawahi does, so we played it in Eb).
I'll check with the recording tonight and will edit this post if necessary. I would love to get your transcription. Do you have it in pdf???

Offline mr mando

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 01:36:30 AM »
Listened to the song last night and realized that I had forgotten that the A-part has a second ending upon repeat, which I included below. Also, as you asked for the passing chords, I edited the B-part to add the passing chords from F down to D7. There's a bridge in the tune after playing the B part twice and before another five or six turns of the  part that I never played before, we only kept on repeating the B-part all the time. I'll listen to the bridge a few more times until I can pick out the chords and then will let you know.

A part first ending
F///|F///|F7///|Bb///||
Bb/B?/|C7/C#?/|F/E7Eb7|D7///|G7///|G7///|C7///|F///||

A part second ending
F///|F///|F7///|Bb///||
Bb/B?/|C7/C#?/|G7///|C7///||

B part
C7///|C7///|F///|F///|C7///|C7///|F///|F///||
C7///|C7///|F///|F/E7Eb7|D7///|G7///|C7///|F///||

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 05:48:36 PM »
Thank you so much. I will convert my scrawl into something readable and convert to pdf and post in next couple of days.
Cheers,
Chris

Offline mr mando

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 04:01:32 AM »
Chris, you don't have to put a lot of work into "cleaning" your hand written transcription. If you can scan it to .jpg or something similar this would already be a big help. If there's anything unclear, I could always get back to you (I suppose??).

Did the chords I provided work for you??

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:12:41 AM »
At last , as promised, here is the cleaned up version. Sorry for the delay. I did the original notation in pencil which didn't scan at all well. Had to go out and buy a fax pen just to make sure.
Happy to answer any questions on anything in here.
Cheers,
Chris

Offline mr mando

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 07:46:25 AM »
Chris, thanks for redoing the score! It's so much better now, really easy to read. On page 3 where it says C-part, the third part of the tune is actually only four bars long (or two bars with your double time notation), so from the 3rd line on page 3 the B part starts over again, just with a different melody, but harmonically, it's the same chords and structure.

I'll have to check the chords that lie underneath the C-part (4bar break), I have about 80% of it but I'm missing something. I'll let you know as soon as I'm sure what it should be.

Thanks again, I'm planning on doing a lap steel note for note transcription myself sooner or later, so your transcription will be extremely helpful.

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 04:36:39 PM »
Mr Mando,
No problem, thanks for the chords and stuff. I look forward to the C part bit. I didn't notate the low part......can't get down there on the mandolin, or all the variations on the theme. Will be interested in seeing your steel guitar version when done.
Cheers,
Chris

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal