collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Gee, I'm always hungry, can't get enough to eat. I'm just like a savage, I could eat a barrel of meat - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: New book released: "The Guitar of Mississippi John Hurt--The Rediscovery Years"  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I'm very excited about the release of my new book, "The Guitar of Mississippi John Hurt--The Rediscovery Years", which as the title implies, focuses on the music that John Hurt recorded between his rediscovery in 1963 and his death in 1966.  The book includes transcriptions of 24 of his recorded performances from that period, and links are provided to the source recordings that were used to make the transcriptions.  Lyrics for all of the songs are included, as well as detailed playing tips indicating the most efficient fingering and picking strategies, to go along with the TAB and standard notation transcriptions.  In addition, Stefan Grossman has generously contributed a treasure trove of photos of John Hurt for the book, many of which have not previously been made publicly available, I believe.  Here is the song list:  Got The Blues, Can't Be Satisfied, Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor, Coffee Blues, Trouble, I've Had It All My Days, Moanin' The Blues, If You Don't Want Me, Baby, Shake That Thing, I Shall Not Be Moved, Casey Jones, Salty Dog, Nobody Cares For Me, Let The Mermaids Flirt With Me, Hop Joint, Lazy Blues, Stockwell, Keep On Knocking, Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight, Cow Hooking Blues (Library of Congress version), Waiting For You, Funky Butt, Poor Boy, Long Ways From Home, I Been Cryin' Since You Been Gone, I'm Satisfied, Joe Turner Blues.  A hard copy version of the book may be ordered at:  http://www.guitarvideos.com/Styles/Blues/the-guitar-of-mississippi-john-hurt-the-rediscovery-years#.XHqsuy2ZPVp
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:19:44 AM by Johnm »

Offline Mark Miller

Thank you, John, for this wonderful book.  It's a treasure!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Thanks for the good words, Mark, I really appreciate them.  I'm glad you are enjoying the book.
All best,
Johnm

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
Some info on the "rediscovery" era recordings for anyone interested:

John Hurt ?rediscovery? albums:

1.   Blues at Newport (recorded live at the Newport Folk Festival 1963, various artists)
2.   Mississippi John Hurt - Today!
3.   The Immortal Mississippi John Hurt
4.   Mississippi John Hurt ? Last Sessions
5.   Mississippi John Hurt Live at Oberlin College (April 14, 1965)
6.   The Best of Mississippi John Hurt (more Live at Oberlin College 1965)
7.   Mississippi John Hurt ? Avalon Blues 1963 (1st studio session on Rounder)
8.   Mississippi John Hurt ? Worried Blues 1963 (2nd studio session on Rounder)
9.   Mississippi John Hurt ? D.C. Blues / The Library of Congress recordings (2 volumes of 38 and 37 songs, respectively)
10.   Mississippi John Hurt ? The Complete Studio Recordings *
11.   Mississippi John Hurt Rediscovered **
12.   Mississippi John Hurt Revisited ***
13.   Mississippi John Hurt ? Folksongs and Blues ****

* Combines the three Vanguard studio albums [Today!, The Immortal, and Last Sessions] together in their entirety

** Compilation of some previously released songs on Vanguard albums (Today!, The Immortal, Last Sessions, and The Best of)

*** Reissue of most songs from the Live at Oberlin College album

**** Japanese reissue of Avalon Blues 1963
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:54:27 PM by big joe weems »

Offline colm kill paul

John,

Congratulations on the release of your book! I've just downloaded the kindle edition (couldn't wait for postage!) and I can see at a glance that this is a treasure trove of MJH playing detail; and accompanied by wonderful photos throughout. Thank you for putting this out. It will be relished by all guitar pickers I am sure, especially MJH devotees like me!

Colm

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
I'm looking forward to checking this book out when it arrives.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal