collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sometimes I want to holler, sometimes I want to shout. Sometimes I want to cry, and wonder what about. I think I got the blues - Sonny Terry, I Think I Got The Blues

Author Topic: C.Bruno & Sons. Video demo clip!  (Read 2835 times)

Offline BottleneckJohn

• Northern heart, Southern soul..
    • Acoustic Blues & Spirituals
C.Bruno & Sons. Video demo clip!
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:15:17 AM »
Hey guys!
Any info on this one, had it for years and just got it back to playable shape again. Well worn and feels great to play!

Regal or Harmony made?!

Sound cool, ladder braced, solid woods.
1920's or 30's..
Marked with a "D" on the headstock.

Bridge and tailpiece original, tuners replaced a long time ago, they're quite similar to the time period.

Seen one or does anyone of y'all have one like this?!

Video clip coming asap..  :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:20:11 PM by BottleneckJohn »
"All Around Man" - Re-release on vinyl LP in April 2015!!
http://www.bottleneckjohn.com/newcd.htm
BJ

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: C.Bruno & Sons.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:54:29 AM »
Had one almost identical, Regal made IIRC, stolen from a gig years ago. I could always be wrong about the make, hard to remember when you're 15!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:59:31 AM by frailer24 »
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline natterjack

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:04:18 AM »
I think it looks like a Oscar Schmidt instrument. The shape of the body, headstock and heel look right as does the 5, 7, 10, 12 fret markers. The decal seam on the back is identical to Stellas I have owned. Schmidt guitars have been known to carry Bruno labels.

Offline BottleneckJohn

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!
I just guessed Regal or Harmony but Oscar Schmidt sounds plausible.
Something about this body shape and MOP inlay positions that rings an O.S. bell!

Whatever it is, it sounds fine, great player!
BJ

Offline BottleneckJohn

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »
A Bruno catalog with Oscar Schmidt made Bruno's from 1912 reads: F "Concert size". Maybe the D on the headstock is a size indicator?!
BJ

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »
I have a very similar guitar, brass bar frets and all, but the label is "Haffner & Sutphin" who were musical instrument distributors in Philadelphia. It has the same decal decoration on the back and the same tailpiece and faux-rosewood finish. I'm not sure at all about the maker but we found identical guitars in a 1910's Sears or Mont Ward catalogue some years ago - $2.50. Most likely to be a Chicago maker IMO.

I had cause to replace the bar frets which were worn out and this also had the benefit of straightening the neck  enough for it to remain nicely playable.

Bruno were also distributors and definitely used both Oscar Schmidt and I think the Larsons to build their better quality items (they catalogue guitars up to $200 in 1912!). I've an OS from 1912 from their catalogue - $13.00.

Offline BottleneckJohn

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »
OK, so the body shape is similar! Does yours have a letter on the headstock like mine has a D ?
BJ

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »
No stamp on the headstock.

Is there any colour left in the soundhole decoration? My guitar has red and black. They do look almost identical.  I know of another one in the UK which matches side by side.

Mine sounds great,I like it for slide but Michael Roach steals it every Bluesweek to play - it's his favorite guitar.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
Looks like a Schmidt-made instrument to me..the sound hole rings, position markers and general shape from what I can see in the photo.  Just reach inside the sound hole and feel the kerfing that joins the top to the sides..if it's square in profile, it's a Schmidt, if triangular (sloped like the bottom kerfing) it's likely not, but not 100%.  Schmidt used the triangular kerfing in their Hawaiian koa guitars .. I've owned a few of those.  Bridge does not look like anything I've seen on original pre-war guitars like this, or in the accessory catalogs.  Maybe replaced at some point.  Cool guitar, probably sounds great w/ a slide.  Looks to be well-played.
Tom

Offline BottleneckJohn

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
Awesome info, Tom! Thanks, I just checked and it's square!
O.S. instrument then, good to know!  :)

Bridge might surely be a replacement, made out of ebony. Looks like a real little arched bridge, I have seen a similar bridge on something before but I can't remember where..

Tom, you might know, is the D (E, F etc.) letter a size indicator on O.S. made guitars?

Thanks again all, great to be among such good people!!
BJ

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
To my knowledge, the D stamp on the headstock had nothing to do w/ Schmidt.  Neil Harpe has much more knowledge on these than I do, maybe he'll chime in.  Tom

Offline BottleneckJohn

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
Hey Tom, one more question. What year approx?! 1920/30's for sure, but a little more specific?
BJ

Offline BottleneckJohn

Re: C.Bruno & Sons. Video demo clip!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »
So here's a little clip showing this oldie!
I like the tone, playable at least after a long rest..

Ladder bracing rules...  :D
BJ

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Great sound John!
And I think there's something pretty great about the tailpiece/floating bridge with ladder bracing also. I know most people run when they see a tailpiece guitar but for this kind of music they're great. It's also pretty wonderful when you go to put one of these types back into use, that you can easily adjust the intonation without moving glued bridges and filling pin holes.

Joe

Offline BottleneckJohn

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »
Hey Joe!

Yeah, I agree. The tailpiece and floating bridge "loads" the top differently than the regular glued/fixed bridge. I dig the tone, very bluesy.  :)
BJ

Offline harriet

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »
I love the sound of that, thanks for posting.

I'm not an expert or anything but also wanted to add that I like the floating bridge system as well. I like to play slide on sears catalogue guitars, Slivertone, Kay Stella, etc and it makes it really easy to adjust intonation.

And easy to replace if the saddle fails. I replaced a glued down bridge myself recently as the luthier who agreed to dupe the original saddle was elusive. Wasn't real happy to do it :-\ and wouldn't buy another with that kind of bridge.

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
Hi,Bruno,were a NY Distribution company selling all types of musical instruments from the lowest to the best.They are reputed to have distributed Larsons.The best guitar I ever owned  carried the black Bruno label,and like a fool I sold it.At the time I owned it,I also owned a vintage Martin and Larson,and the Bruno was the best of the three.I always thought mine was a Boston made guitar.
Looks to me,like yours is a Regal,it doesn't have the Harmony headstock,and if it was a Stella,you would know it.
However,there were dozens of makers knocking out regal and stella look alikes.
They're all worth getting, if cheap,if no good for standard playing,they all tend to sound good with slide.And yes,you are right, cross braces are for whimps.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »
Bed Bug Bill .. It's not a Regal-made guitar.  Earlier in the thread John confirmed that it's an Oscar Schmidt-made guitar, the square kerfing to attach the top to the sides gives it away, plus the type of sound hole rings and overall shape. 

Bottleneck John:  to answer your question from last year, this guitar dates from the late teens into the 20s.  By the 30s, they were mostly birch and appointed with decals and a different headstock shape.

Tom

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »
 Sorry !.....didn't see that post.If top and bottom linnings are different ,then it's a Stella.There should also be a very pronounced ,obvious curve to the side,at roughly the bridge position,making the area below the bridge the deepest area of the body.Larson did the same,it is not known who copied who,or if it some older practice.If it's a Stella,it should sound /feel different than the other cheap guitars,they have a certain air about them....feel robust.That's why they were preferred.
I stand corrected.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal