collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
In 1968, Wells returned from a State Department-sponsored tour of Africa and told a Newsweek correspondent, "We got to one place and they had banners saying 'Welcome Home, Junior'. I told 'em, man I said, this ain't my home, I live one block north of the Loop. Then they asked me what I thought of black power. I said black power is me making it with Aretha Franklin." - from Larry Cohn's Nothing But The Blues

Author Topic: Blind Blake Lyrics  (Read 43351 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Blind Blake Lyrics
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2023, 05:43:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Blues Vintage. Blake does say "swing", not "bring" in all those places where it shows in the transcription, but I took the "you" start to funny foolin' fix, and the fix for "Hot Potatoes". Thanks.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2023, 10:27:51 AM »
...I've also come away with the impression that, like Lonnie Johnson, there was very little that was "country" about his music. He and Lonnie and Papa Charlie Jackson are more appropriately thought of as early Jazz players in some ways, I think.

I agree. Putting aside the genre label for a moment and focusing on defining musical features, I hear someone who benefited from the cross fertilization of musical ideas in an environment where there was a lot going on musically. Some of his guitar solos could just as well have been clarinet solos (or another instrument) in a jazz band setting. I wish we knew more about him so we would have a much fuller picture. But thankfully his music survives.

Offline RichardW

• Howdy!
« Reply #422 on: July 31, 2023, 02:07:45 PM »
Hard Pushing Papa

Three years, woman, ?fore I never lost a bet,

Three years pullman porter, never lost a bet

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #423 on: July 31, 2023, 03:01:11 PM »
Hi Richard,
That's what we have in Weeniepedia. Perhaps you were looking at a transcription of the song early in the thread. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal