collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A room without a woman is like a heart without a beat - Curtis Jones, Lonesome Bedroom Blues

Author Topic: MJH and a J-45?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline beljum

MJH and a J-45?
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:02:47 PM »

I'm kicking around buying a J-45 and ran across a "player" list that has Mississippi John Hurt on it. I did not know that and wonder if any of his recordings are of him with the Gibson. Anyone know?

Thanks,
bel

Offline beljum

Re: MJH and a J-45?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:57:52 PM »
Thanks Jimbo...I dug out my copy of "MJH His Life, His Times, His Blues" by Ratcliffe and sure enough, just as you say, on pg 152 shows an album cover "Folk Songs and Blues" with him playing Hoskins J45. On page 168, a photo shows John Hurt playing a gig with the J45 (Ontario Place).

bel

Offline revellfa

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
J 45 is perfect for his style.  I think I read somewhere that J 45 had the finish taken off and several other modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beljum

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 01:53:02 AM »

That's interesting about the modifications. Wonder what the details are.
I've been researching the new guitar market and am surprised how the Gibsons have held their value; at least those years that are deemed good years. There are a few enlightening video interviews with Ren Ferguson about the history of Gibson.
The timing right now of Gibson going bankrupt disturbs me a bit (just my luck). I?ll more than likely wait and see what happens at (to?) Gibson or go a different route as I?m seeing a lot of competition in that price range.

bel

Offline beljum

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Just a follow-up....
I ended up getting a used 2012 J45TV that was (and still is!) in like new condition. The "TV" is for True Vintage which is a reproduction of the J45's glory years. I cant say enough good about this guitar. My hats off to the good folks at Gibson. The craftsmanship is outstanding  only to be outdone by the sound. The guitar really responds well to fingerpicking.

bel

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »
There?s also these, which I?ve heard very good things about:
https://www.pre-warguitars.com/

Chris

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal