collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I had a little bird and its name was Enza, I opened up the window and in-flew-enna - Popular children's rhyme in 1918

Author Topic: The Robert Johnson A Chord  (Read 1642 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
The Robert Johnson A Chord
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
Howdy:

Johnm's mention of the Robert Johnson A chord (x-0-5-6-5-0) in the Gabriel Broun Lyrics thread got me to thinkin' again about this versatile and great-sounding chord. And about it's uses in CB.

To my knowledge, this chord has been used in recorded CB by RJ, Funny Papa Smith, Calvin Frazier and Blind Boy Fuller (as well as. it seems, Gabriel Brown).

FPS uses the Chord in his " Mama, Quittin' and Leavin'"-style double-sided blues in A as an alternate I chord, and occasionally as the IV chord (?).

Calvin Frazier uses this chord as the IV chord about half the time in his Key of E blues "This Old World's in a Tangle" (which is BTW the only right-wing blues I know  :)  ) In the same tune he uses a similar style E chord (0-5-6-4-0-0) which he moves back a fret for the diminished effect.

Blind Boy Fuller uses the chord briefly (third bar) in "Black and Tan" and in the intro and break of "Walking My Troubles Away".

FPS 1930-31, Frazier 1938, BBF 1936, RJ 1936-37, so Funny Papa is the earliest that I know of to use this chord.

Do any of you out their no any other recorded occurrences of the RJ A chord (of, for that matter the Frazier E version). Or can anyone tell me why it works so well musically.

BTW this first use of a signature RJ move by Funny Papa Smith is not the only one. FPS uses the RJ A turnaround as well and he is an early user of the hellhound image. And more.....

Alex
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:14:25 AM by GhostRider »

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Re: The Robert Johnson A Chord
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I sho 'nuff wore my fingers raw tonight playing Robert's "middle of an A7," amongst other stiff.
I love that chord, drop it down a fret for a little while and then resolve back up. It is a gift to the blues guitar world  8)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:43:10 AM »
It's the one he uses in "Dead Shrimp" right

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:28:55 AM »
It's the one he uses in "Dead Shrimp" right
Yes.

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:29 AM »
Dang, what great chords!
Where have they been hiding?

Also try X06750 with the RJ A then back to the X06750 and X06757 for a 7th.

Thanks guys,
Joe

Offline HunkyPicker

• American Primitive Guitar Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »
Thanks... GREAT chord.

Never would have thought of this one but it is cool and a great drone
Long time Country Blues and Ragtime Fan.
1920’s prohibition Jazz music fan

Hitched the mule to the harness but the mule wouldn’t pull. Took the harness off the mule and I put it on the bull

-Reverend Gary Davis

Offline pete1951

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
Works well in Spanish, 0-0-3-4-3-0, But my favorite is 0-0-0-7-6-9 to X-0-0-6-5-8, (again in D-G-D-G-B-D)
When I first heard Robert J. someone said he played in open tuning, so I tried to play all his stuff in open G ( that was the only open tuning any of my friends knew) Over 40years later I still do!
Pete T

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal