Country Blues > Down the Dirt Road

Matchbox Blues

(1/3) > >>

lindy:

Just found this website while I was searching for information on Yank Rachell's version of Matchbox Blues:

http://heartonastick.blog-city.com/matchbox02.htm

About 3/4 of the way down the page there's a link to a downloadable mp3 file of snippets of the following folks' renditions of this song: Ma Rainey (Blues, GA), Blind Lemon Jefferson (Blues, TX), Will Weldon (Blues, AR), Willie Baker (Blues, GA), Jimmie Davis (Country Blues, LA), Larry Hensley (Hillbilly Blues, KY), Leadbelly (Blues, TX), Big Bill Broonzy (Blues, MS/Chicago), Black Ivory King (Blues, TX), Roy Newman (Western Swing, TX), Roy Shaffer (Hillbilly Blues, VA?), Sam Price (Jazz/Blues, NY/TX), Shelton Brothers (Western Swing, TX), Carl Perkins (Rockabilly, TN), Jerry Lee Lewis (Rock, LA), Terry Wayne (Rock, UK), The Beatles (Rock, UK), Sam Cooke (Soul, Chicago)]

A fine way to spend 8-9 minutes of your day.

My original search was to find out if that Yank Rachell version is available on a CD, or if it's on one of those Blue Goose recordings that sadly remain out of print.

Also, somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember someone mentioning a Yank Rachell CD that was put out on a German label within the past decade that has him playing some guitar tunes in addition to his mando. Did I dream that? Ring a bell, anybody?

Thanks,
Lindy

Johnm:
Hi Lindy,
Your memory is good in this instance, I think.  A German label called Taxim, I think, licensed the Yank Rachell Blue Goose album and released it on CD, and also licensed and released Roger Hubbard's Blue Goose album.  Parlor Picker will know the name of the label for sure, as he is a friend of Roger's.
All best,
Johnm

Stuart:
Here's the link to Taxim:

http://www.taxim.com/start.htm

I didn't see anything on Yank, however.

They used to have a presence in the U.S. run by a fellow by the name of Mercer. I spoke with him at length on the phone years ago and he had some very interesting things to say about the people behind Taxim as well as the "Blues" scene in Germany and in Europe at the time.

"Matchbox Blues" is on Blue Goose 2010. Check Stefan Wirz's site under "Blue Goose" for the album cover and liner notes.

Parlor Picker:
John is right, the German label is called Taxim, but I don't think they reissued the Yank Rachell album. 

As well as Roger's Blue Goose album, they also issued two CDs by his band, Buick 6, which are well worth hearing (if they are still in print - and I seem to remember Roger saying at least the first one "Cypress Grove" was out of catalog[ue]).

The original Blues Goose LPs have now become collector's items and seem to sell for big money.

uncle bud:
The CD reissue Lindy is looking for was put out on the Random Chance label in 1999 and is called "Yank Rachell" (RCD-2). I guess it's currently hard to find, since the used copy on Amazon is going for 58 bucks. Random Chance did another CD called "Blues Mandolin Man" (RCD-1), which is Electric Yank, with electric bass and drums, not acoustic like the Blue Goose record on RCD-2.

Cover of RCD-2 below:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version