collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Mary had a little lamb, it's feets was white as snow

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Guitar For Playing Country Blues?  (Read 6204 times)

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
What's Your Favorite Guitar For Playing Country Blues?
« on: January 10, 2005, 10:14:20 PM »
I'm curious about what makes/models/body styles, etc. people really like for playing country blues guitar.  I have two Taylor X14 model guitars and they sound great for fingerpickin' county blues.  (I bought my guitars before I fell in love with country blues). I sometimes wonder if I should just stick with my Taylors (which are not, by many people's accounts, typical blues playin' guitars) or justify GAS for a nice Martin 000-15 or 00-15  :P  Bg

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
Re: What's Your Favorite Guitar For Playing Country Blues?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 04:40:13 AM »
I used to have a Taylor, and I sure as heck played the blues on it for many years.  (It's no longer with us in this world, but that's another story.)  Those small mahogany Taylors can get a good blues sound to be happy with.  But you're just lookin to GAS for something, aren't you?

These days I like my old Gibson L-00, and I'm sure each of us has a preference that is "the one" for us, but I think anything that's small bodied and mahogany, with that dry, quick sound, works for country blues.  That's my personal taste.  OTOH, I've heard some great blues played on a D-28.  Maybe it depends on the player more than the guitar.?   

Jeff

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 06:58:04 AM »
Well, if you like your Taylors, you might want to stick with them and take your time (e.g., a year or two) trying other guitars, trying other people's guitars, get to know what seems to work for you, doing some net research (I haven't read lately but rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic used to have endless discussions about what guitar is best for this or that).

That said, a couple of things I've learned to consider, although note I am far from expert on these things.  :D

1. The name ain't everything. Some old no name parlors sound tremendous for CB.
2.  Different strokes and all - Jerry Ricks sounds great on a dreadnought. Not your typical blues guitar. 00's and Parlors are great too.
3. Try some short scale guitars, 12 frets to the body. A lot of folks like these for blues.
4. Try to find some ladder-braced guitars to check out. These will be old (unless you order a new one from Todd Cambio), so harder to find. But they're around. I think they sound great for the real old CB. Go to a gathering of country blues loons like Port Townsend and you'll find a bunch to play.

Re. the Martin 15 series. If you go for this, try a lot of them if you can. I've encountered huge variability in the ones I've played. Some real nice, some not worth it.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:16:44 AM »

Howdy:

One variable I've noticed is; do you play with a thumb pick or not. I have a full sized Jumbo that sounds great for blues but if played with a thumb pick the bass overwhelms the treble. My little Gibson L-1 is the otherway around and really needs a thumb pick to bring out the bass especially when muting it.

In many respects the OM-sized (Martin or otherwise) guitars may be a perfect comprimise ('though I don't own one, but have played many). Nice balance.

Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »
Hey Bg,
Well I already posted to your similar query over on the 'shed, and most of the guys here know what I play. What I would recommend is that, since you've already stated that you are headin' up to PT this year, you oughta hold out 'til then. You'll have an opportunity to hear and play literally hundreds of guitars (including all of mine 'cause I drive up so's I can bring 'em). It is quite an experience just from the guitar aspect alone and will certainly open your eyes to the vast possibilities. Lookin' forward to seein' you there.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Bluesygirl

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 07:14:45 PM »
Hey Bg,
Well I already posted to your similar query over on the 'shed, and most of the guys here know what I play. What I would recommend is that, since you've already stated that you are headin' up to PT this year, you oughta hold out 'til then. You'll have an opportunity to hear and play literally hundreds of guitars (including all of mine 'cause I drive up so's I can bring 'em). It is quite an experience just from the guitar aspect alone and will certainly open your eyes to the vast possibilities. Lookin' forward to seein' you there.
All for now.
John C.

Hey John,
Good idea! Thanks!
Bg

Offline Bluesygirl

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 07:17:13 PM »

Howdy:

One variable I've noticed is; do you play with a thumb pick or not. I have a full sized Jumbo that sounds great for blues but if played with a thumb pick the bass overwhelms the treble. My little Gibson L-1 is the otherway around and really needs a thumb pick to bring out the bass especially when muting it.

In many respects the OM-sized (Martin or otherwise) guitars may be a perfect comprimise ('though I don't own one, but have played many). Nice balance.

Alex

I don't use a thumb pick.  Through studying Stefan Grossman's DVDs and CDs I've learned to get a good boom-chick going with just the fingers. Bg

Offline Bluesygirl

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 07:19:01 PM »
?
Re. the Martin 15 series. If you go for this, try a lot of them if you can. I've encountered huge variability in the ones I've played. Some real nice, some not worth it.

Bud,
Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, what specifically was it about those ones that were real nice or not worth it?
Bg

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 07:44:55 PM »
Some sounded real good, some sounded like their cardboard models. (No offense to Slack and his excellent cigar-box creations.)

Offline Bluesygirl

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 07:58:59 PM »
That's incredible to me.  Seriously though, to what do you attribute those sounding like cardboard? Substandard mahogany? Old strings? I know this is a subjective thing and, to be sure, the same model can sound truly different from one guitar to another. Bg

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 08:15:52 PM »
That's incredible to me.? Seriously though, to what do you attribute those sounding like cardboard? Substandard mahogany? Old strings? I know this is a subjective thing and, to be sure, the same model can sound truly different from one guitar to another. Bg

I think it comes down to the same model varies from one to another, especially with factory-made guitars. Some could have used better setups but that's a minor issue if you're buying from a reputable place. I don't know enough about woods to say substandard mahogany or not. The guitars always looked great. I've played about eight of them, and I was considering buying at one point but wanted a smaller guitar. I think it's a very good series and some of them may turn out to be great, coveted blues gitfiddles on eBay in years to come.

Edited to add: But what the hell do I know!  :P  Seriously, I shouldn't be giving guitar advice. Do not listen to me. Google in Groups for rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic and you will find more about the 15 series than you ever wanted to know.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:18:45 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Bluesygirl

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 09:43:35 PM »
Thanks for referring me to the acoustic guitar usenet list. I've subscribed and am looking foward to seeing what turns up.  Haven't been on a list-serv in many a year!  Bg

Betz

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »
A Dobro DM-33 California Girl with a spider bridge.? She do sing.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 03:49:14 PM »
Welcome Betz!

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 05:19:49 PM »
Definitely Oscar Schmidt Stellas.  But does anyone know anything about prewar Gibsons?  I just played one, and it's great for prewar country/string band type playing.  I'm thinking I might need to get one, if I can afford it.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 08:51:14 AM »
Monty:

Ask Wildcotton. He just purchased a '36 Gibson L-00, http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=432.30

Alex

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 09:19:34 AM »
Monty,

Pre war Gibons are very (maybe the most) desirable CB guitar.  And you will certainly pay for the priviledge, depending on model.  I have two pre-war gibsons a 1928 all mahogany L-0(not a particularly sought afdter model, but the first flat top model gibson made) and a 1921 A4 Mando.  Love them both.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 09:48:59 AM »
As it was used by Scrapper Blackwell, the L-O is the most sought after by me, John D, I just don't have the funds at the moment. I hope you'll remember me in your will.<G> Perhaps I could reciprocate with my little Stella? Frank's already in the will for the Sov 12 and Ari's down for the Style O.
Of course Monty, if your into the OS ladder braced sound, you also want to look at the Gibson made Kalamazoo K-14. Very bluesy sounding and not nearly as precious as the brand Gibsons. As with the Gibsons, the earier models have the wider fret board most of us prefer.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 10:20:47 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

koaguitarman

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 02:15:31 PM »
Lately I have been using this Custom National Koa Guitar.

It has a great sound for country blues.
Russ

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal