collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wen he gets (up) in de mornin' he feels bad, and wen (he) goes to bed at night he feels wusser. He tinks dat his body is made ob ice cream, all 'cept his heart, and dat - dat's a piece ob lead in de middle. All sorts ob sights are hubbering around, and red monkeys is buzzing about his ears... (D)em's what I calls de bloos - Sam Jonsing, in an 1839 New Orleans newspaper

Author Topic: Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Lucille?  (Read 878 times)

Offline langjonnymore

• Howdy!
Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Lucille?
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:07:21 AM »
Hello folks,
Greeting from Bonny Scotland. I was wondering if anyone could help with this: I have a snatch of song running through my head (over a rag mama, or salty dog chord progression) but cannot work out where I picked it up (maybe Leon Redbone but no obvious tracks come to mind) and also whether there is a fuller song to go with it. What I have:
"Has anybody seen my sweet Lucille, I love that gal and I know she gonna treat me right". A google search was no help

Hope someone can help
jc

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Re: Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Lucille?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
jc,
The Peetie Wheatstraw song 'Sweet Lucille' doesn't seem to contain the exact line you're referencing but has some that come close.

Offline langjonnymore

• Howdy!
Re: Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Lucille?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »
Tenbrook, many thanks for that. Sounds good but unfortunately the melody and feel/pace is entirely different. I will keep dredging (still convinced it was Leon Redbone that did a snatch of it somewhere). Thanks again for posting. jc
STOP PRESS: found it, it is part of "That's All I do" on his "Live" CD (which is mainly him doing some extremely eccentric but entertaining scat singing); unless there is yet another version he did it seems like I may have mutated it a bit since I started singing it myself!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal