collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Folklore is not as easy to collect as it sounds. The best source is where there are the least outside influences, and these people, being usually under-privileged, are the shyest... The Negro, in spite of his open-faced laughter, his seeming acquiescence, is particularly evasive... The Indian resists curiosity by a stony silence. The Negro offers a feather-bed resistance - Zora Neale Hurston, Mules and Men (1935)

Author Topic: Independence Day  (Read 704 times)

Offline eric

Independence Day
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
I'll now wind up the old Victor III and listen to Sousa's band doing Stars and Stripes Forever.

To our English colleagues:  Sorry about the revolution and all, but I believe we've patched things up since. 
--
Eric

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Independence Day
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
Happy Fourth Eric, and to all weenies everywhere. We've got a chicken rotating on the Weber and will observe the fireworks later with the neighbors, a slightly long way off from ground zero to our spot in S.Austin but we can see them without leaving our atomic ranch.

I'm still a Brit on a greencard at this point, technically speaking, and I doubt any right thinking people have a problem with independence as a concept, wherever you happen to live. It's hot though, 95 degrees F outside, 7.30 PM, retiring to Cornwall is my favorite daydream at this time of year.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »

Among many other things, July 4th up in these parts means that summer finally begins (seriously, you can look it up, consistent dry and warm weather tends to wait until July 5 in the PacNW), and The Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland, OR is underway.

We had a thread going for a while that talked about the ups and downs of today's multi-stage, multi-day blues fests, I think Portland does a really nice job in choosing performers. Check it out:

http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/Artists

Acoustic performers are way down the page (sigh). You'll see a picture of Lauren, but no picture of Steve Cheeseborough, who is also on the bill. The Creole/Zydeco lineup this year is a killer.

L

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
I'll now wind up the old Victor III and listen to Sousa's band doing Stars and Stripes Forever.

To our English colleagues:  Sorry about the revolution and all, but I believe we've patched things up since.

Huh. I don't think so.

Taxation without representation? Sounds fair to me.

AND, throwing tea in the river renders it unsuitable to drink. Even for Americans.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal