collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When you come to my workshop, it's going to be, 'Baby, meet me with your black drawers OFF' - Carl Rutherford, Port Townsend 98

Author Topic: Dave Van Ronk Tunings  (Read 13625 times)

Offline glasalle

• Howdy!
Re: Dave Van Ronk Tunings
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:16 AM »
I believe the arrangements are similar.  Yes, taking lessons with Dave was "an experience".  i went into greenwhich village for about a year to take lessons with Dave. Although, I think there were some breaks  here and there.

Glenn

Offline EricFlatpick

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the tunings, Simplelines.  There I was feeling smug, having worked "Keep it clean" in open C, with a way to keep that bass line rolling like on the recording ...  I'll give it a try in the dropped C you've identifed, but may I ask what it was that clued you that it was that tuning?  Are there parts that it makes it easier to play--or anything else you'd care to comment on?  Thanks.

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
I tried to pick out Another Tme and Place last night but my ears aren't great... According to the list it's played in standard tuning but to me the F# base for the D chord doesn't sound right. I decided it sounds better with a double D base and drop D tuning. Capo at the second fret.
Do any of you wizards know which base he played on the D chord?

Thanks in advance
 Yogi

Offline Laura

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »
Hi Yogi.  Johnm kindly tabbed "Another Time and Place" for me some time ago.  He has it in standard in E and I'm pretty certain that's how Dave would have played it, too.  Though I'm sure it could sound good in drop D.  I think I might record this song this weekend it's so lovely :)

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »
E! That's a surprise, I could have sworn it was in the key of D.
Looking forward to hearing your version should you decide to post it for us.
 /Yogi

Offline Laura

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
Well there's a challenge then!

Offline Laura

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Here ya go, Yogi.  Sorry about all the mistakes I haven't played this for a long time and had no time to practice.  I totally cheat on the B chord because it's quite a complicated little pull-off thing he does but this sort of works! Oh and to completely confuse things I'm tuned down a whole step and capo'd up to the first fret   :o

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
Cheers for that Laura, I really appreciate it! Practice or no practice, it still sounds nice, I think you should be proud. And you have a lovely voice as well! When I try to sing it it sounds like sh*t.
I'm still playing it in D, it sits so well there and one can play it almost efforlessly though I probably miss out on some of the sounds and I do have to battle the "drone" from the base.
Thanks again for posting this and accepting the challange :-)

Yogi

Offline michael

• Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 09:02:25 AM »
Hey ,

I know I'm a bit late but is "Another Time and Place" featured in any of the music-books?

Offline Slagathor

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 05:31:58 AM »
it's awesome you took lessons from Dave Van Ronk. I've been trying to learn Jivin Man Blues for a couple of days now. Do you think you might have the tabs for that song?

Thanks for the compilation.  One thing to note, Dave changed capo positions frequently.  When i took lessons from Dave in the early 80's, he always taught the tunes without a capo.  He also pretty much settled in on Standard and dropped D (or as he liked to call it, English D).  He didn't teach me any songs other than those 2 tunings. 

Some additions:
 - Dave taught me Jivin' Man Blues, which is Dropped D
 - Death Letter Blues is in G in standard

Glenn

? edited by Rivers to fix the quote formatting of a previous post ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:33:41 PM by Rivers »

Offline Aaron

• Howdy!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm a few years late, but here's my contribution. One correction to the original list is that "Jesus Met the Woman" is in Drop D.

Standard
  • Baby Let Me Lay It On You
  • Boll Weevil Song
  • Chicken is Nice
  • Michigan Water Blues
  • The Old Man
  • The Pearls
  • Urge for Going
  • Winin' Boy

Drop D
  • In Conditional Support of Beauty
  • Jesus Met the Woman at the Well
  • Jivin' Man Blues
  • The Katoomba Rumba
  • Nobody Knows the Way I Feel This Morning
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:32:01 PM by aaronaaronaa »

Offline davidbeinct

• Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2022, 06:17:23 AM »
I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but does anyone know where a recorded version of Dave Van Ronk playing The Katoomba Rumba might be found? My teacher took some lessons from him and has taught it to me but I would love to hear Dave's original.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2022, 09:01:57 AM »
Hi David: If all else fails, ask Elijah Wald.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »
According to the Dave Van Ronk discography at the Stefan Wirz site, Dave never recorded the piece on a commercially available disc or LP.

Offline davidbeinct

• Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 08:29:48 AM »
Hi David: If all else fails, ask Elijah Wald.
Thanks Stuart. I had already done that, he didn't know of one so I thought I would crowd source here. Looks like John Miller gave me my answer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal