collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Oh my. I feel just like a teddy bear - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Teddy Bear Blues

Author Topic: Is Bud Spires still alive?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline JohnLeePimp

Is Bud Spires still alive?
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
The harmonica player who accompanied Jack Owens
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Is Bud Spires still alive?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
He was still performing in 1999 two years after Jack Owens's death. So that'll narrow down the search for a death notice/obit. He'd be 80, or thereabouts.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
He was still around, though apparently not in good health, when this article was published in 2003:

http://www.bluefrontbluesroom.org/Bentonia.htm

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
He was still performing in 1999 two years after Jack Owens's death. So that'll narrow down the search for a death notice/obit. He'd be 80, or thereabouts.

...yeah, well his name's Benjamin "Blind Bud" Spires, and there's no mention of his death online (My only source of "research")

But I did find out Arthur Big Boy Spires was recently grouped with McClennan and Petway in this blues trail marker ceremony thing

http://www.visitmississippi.org/uploads/docs/cities/Abbeville/Tommy%20McClennan%20Blues%20Trail%20Release%202-13-12.pdf

..I sent an email to Jim O'Neal asking about it - though it's likely that if he were alive he would've been invited to the event

also I believe that the magnificent Jimmy Holmes might have an idea about him - but I can't find his email  ::)
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »
I think he is otherwise I would've read about it in Block magazine. They always report all the deaths in the blues community.

Anyone aware of Otis Rush's condition? Bunker?

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
He recorded a few tracks in Nov 2005 for Broke & Hungry on a release titled Back to Bentonia.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Jonna

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
Bud Spires is still alive, he is cousin to a good friend of mine here in California.

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Saw Bud Spires summer of 2011 in Indianola. Didn't talk with him but did chat with Jimmy "Duck" Holmes.

Far as I know Otis Rush is still alive but not at all well.

Offline killerblues

• Killer Blues
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:48 AM »
Yes Bud spires is still alive. Ivisited him this spring at his home in Bentonia, MS

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Otis Rush is still alive.  He suffered a stroke and basically stopped performing.  I know 'cuz my friend Marty was his keyboard player.

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
Been wanting to do an article about Bud Spires. And glad to hear he's still living. But oes anyone know his birth date? I can't find it anywhere.....

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
Been wanting to do an article about Bud Spires. And glad to hear he's still living. But oes anyone know his birth date? I can't find it anywhere.....
The information can be found in David Evan's notes to the LP It Must Have Been The Devil:Mississippi Country Blues by Jack Owens & Bud Sipres (Testament T-2222, May 1971) - Benjamin "Bud" Spires, 20 May 1931, Yazoo County, MS son of Arthur "Big Boy" Spires. A lengthy feature by Evans on the pair can also be found in his Ramblin' column in Blues Revue 12, Spring 1994, pps 15-17 where there's a photo of Owen's and Spires taken in 1969.

I wouldn't mind betting that Evans probably has unpublished Spires info/photos.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:15:27 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »
The information can be found in David Evan's notes to the LP It Must Have Been The Devil:Mississippi Country Blues by Jack Owens & Bud Sipres (Testament T-2222, May 1971) - Benjamin "Bud" Spires, 20 May 1931, Yazoo County, MS son of Arthur "Big Boy" Spires. A lengthy feature by Evans on the pair can also be found in his Ramblin' column in Blues Revue 12, Spring 1994, pps 15-17 where there's a photo of Owen's and Spires taken in 1969.

I wouldn't mind betting that Evans probably has unpublished Spires info/photos.

thanks Bunker Hill! This is a good start

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »
Second hand information, but coming from a very reliable source, on Saturday Dec 5.  He is in pretty poor health and has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks with infection.

Will try to find out more soon..........

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Finally completed article on Bud Spires. Not an easy task and a little lengthy.

check pomeroyblues.org

and big thanks to all who helped with input!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal