collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It ain't so bad. I can see the ice-cream factory from my window. - Furry Lewis, supposedly to a friend visiting him in the hospital after he lost his leg

Author Topic: JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others  (Read 32525 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2007, 11:53:02 PM »
I'm curious, though--does anyone actually think that Sam Butler (BoWeavil Jackson) was from Mississippi.....?  I thought Butler was thought to be from Alabama...
W-e-l-l a Paramount advert for one of his releases (so long ago can't remember whether for Jackson or Butler) stated he was from the Carolinas. Don't know if anybpody followed that line of enquiry.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2007, 06:27:09 AM »
Georgia Pine Boy is the name on the list that jumped out at me as a probable non-Mississippian.  Turns out it's a pseudonym for Joe McCoy. 

It's been suggested that Bogus Ben Covington was from Alabama as well.  At least Johnny Parth put him on the Alabama: Black Country Dance Bands disk.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:55:53 AM by dj »

tommersl

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2007, 07:48:50 AM »
For me Butler/Bo Weavil Jackson is the same guy as Blind Joe Reynolds. I don't know whether he was from Mississippi but maybe his style is related to the Delta. So wasn't Lockwood Jr. and King Solomon and about 40% of the others, weren't from Mississippi Callicot and Akers and others.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2007, 08:25:06 AM »
For me Butler/Bo Weavil Jackson is the same guy as Blind Joe Reynolds.
I know this is moving away from discussion but there's no suggestion of that in Gayle Wardlow's Blues Unlimited feature. Here's one of two photos of Reynolds this supplied, I think, by his niece. The other photo first appeared in BU 142 (Summer 1982) which was on the reverse of his American Foundation For The Blind registration card issed 1/1/1965, using the name Joe Sheppard.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:26:15 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2007, 09:05:06 AM »
For those interested, the other photo of Joe Reynolds and the Gayle Dean Wardlow article on him are reprinted in Wardlow's "Chasin' That Devil Music". 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2007, 09:09:18 AM »
Hi all,
I don't think it is possible that Joe Reynolds and Sam Butler are one and the same.  Their touch and left-hand vocabulary, especially in standard tuning, are completely different.  They bear some vocal similarity.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2007, 09:10:33 AM »
For those interested, the other photo of Joe Reynolds and the Gayle Dean Wardlow article on him are reprinted in Wardlow's "Chasin' That Devil Music". 
Oh yes I forgot it was reprinted in there but I wonder why they never bothered showing the other side of the card!

tommersl

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2007, 11:35:52 AM »
Hi Bunker, I have Gayle Dean Wardlow's Chasin' book and I read it through straight and backward direction several times, unless I missed it I didn't see any place he wrote Reynolds wasn't Jackson. Sure I'd be curious to hear what he say about it. I also heard Gayle Dean Wardlow has an upcoming book on Robert Johnson. The man is the encyclopedia of the Delta Blues.
Tommersl

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
Hi Bunker, I have Gayle Dean Wardlow's Chasin' book and I read it through straight and backward direction several times, unless I missed it I didn't see any place he wrote Reynolds wasn't Jackson.
So are you saying that GDW is of the belief that they are the same, but has never gone into print with this theory? Sorry, I'm somewhat confused (which ain't nothing new!) ;D

GDW, popped up here a fortnight ago, if still out there Gayle how about putting this to rest for us?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »
Highly doubtful Reynolds and Butler are the same person, IMO. As JohnM points out, their guitar styles, touch, vocabulary etc. are quite different. Their voices, while in the same general ballpark, are also audibly different.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2007, 11:12:18 PM »
Also, Bo Weavil Jackson looks like this:

Offline Eldergreene

• Howdy!
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
G'day all, just to echo the recommendation for this set - I received it today, & am very pleased with the selection & sound quality; about half the tracks I'm familiar with, from having previously had them on vinyl, but I've never heard them this clean - I doubt there are many here who don't know most of this stuff, but if there is, this is a MUST BUY, IMO.So much great music for so cheap...

tommersl

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »
I see a Robert Johnson song listed as "Travelin Riverside #1", does anyone who has the package can tell whether this song is the same with the Travelin on the 2cd Complete Recordings (the 41 RJ tracks)?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2007, 05:48:13 PM »
Hi all,
I picked up this set last week and it is outstanding, but it has one notable curiosity:  The third track from the end of the program is listed as being Arthur Pettis's "Good Boy Blues", but is, in fact, a track by Webster Taylor, the name of which escapes me.  It is kind of odd that such an error would actually pass into the final product.
All best,
Johnm

Offline outfidel

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »
It is kind of odd that such an error would actually pass into the final product.

Clearly, JSP needs to hire Weenie Jukesters to do quality control. ;)
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal