collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some are like jelly beans, so cute and sweet. I carry carbolic acid for every one of them I meet - Clara Smith, Jelly Bean Blues

Author Topic: Mississippi Sheiks, Walter Vinson and Bo Carter ? March 1934  (Read 6427 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Mississippi Sheiks, Walter Vinson and Bo Carter ? March 1934
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
Bob MacLeod's composer list has the writer credit on the label as:  (Jacobs - Carter).

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
while we've got some m.sheiks experts in the room

what is the personnell for 'Lonely One In This Town", b-side of Sitting On Top Of the World Okeh 8784?  (if memory recalls, i think it lists carter as a writer? could be wrong about that)

going by ear, it's Lonnie fiddling with Walter playing guitar and singing.  I remember reading that some thought there might be a second fiddler on that, but I don't hear that at all...  just a single fiddle.

Offline Shovel

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
while we've got some m.sheiks experts in the room

what is the personnell for 'Lonely One In This Town", b-side of Sitting On Top Of the World Okeh 8784?  (if memory recalls, i think it lists carter as a writer? could be wrong about that)

going by ear, it's Lonnie fiddling with Walter playing guitar and singing.  I remember reading that some thought there might be a second fiddler on that, but I don't hear that at all...  just a single fiddle.

thanks man.  yeah only i hear one fiddle too, never suspected otherwise.

Offline minuszero

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
I've recently listened through the 3 Document Vols, the highlight was hearing original versions of songs covered by Bob Dylan on his 1993 album World Gone Wrong
World Gone Wrong (Mississippi Sheiks - The World Is Going Wrong)
Blood in My Eyes (Mississippi Sheiks - I've Got Blood in My Eyes for You)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
the 3 Document Vols

There's one more volume on Document - the last bunch of songs on vol. 4 is Sam and Lonnie, including their take on "Make Me A Pallet On the Floor" - they call it "If You Don't Want Me Please Don't Dog Me 'round."

Then there's more stuff with Walter - "Pop Skull Blues" - everything you need to know about whiskey and blues in D.  "Sales Tax" is on there, "She's Gone To Her Lonesome Grave," "It?s Backfiring Now," "Somebody?s Got To Help Me..."  much yet to hear.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal