collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got Sonny up to Harlem, and we started street playin' in New York. We did that for three or four years and survived. We brought it back to the streets again - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Tommy Johnson new discovered sides  (Read 2279 times)

LoneWolf

Tommy Johnson new discovered sides
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:51:50 AM »
I listened to "I want someone to love me", awsome recording.

I'd like to know if there are more songs that were discovered, and when were they discovered.

Offline mr mando

Re: Tommy Johnson new discovered sides
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »
Roi, the CD's included with the Blues images calendar are the best source for recently disovered blues 78s. The 2CD set "Stuff that dreams are made of" on Yazoo is also recommended.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Tommy Johnson new discovered sides
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »
I believe the "I Want Someone to Love Me" was one of the Paramount tests discovered by John Tefteller in Wisconsin around the same time as he found the previously unheard King Solomon Hill record ("My Buddy Blind Papa Lemon"/"Times Has Done Got Hard") and the full-length Charlie Patton photo.

There were a couple of other unissued Tommy Johnson sides discovered in 1985 in the attic of a house in Waukegan, Ill. (believed to have been the home once of a Paramount employee). These unissued sides are on the Document Tommy Johnson CD and one of them is on Yazoo's "Times Ain't Like They Used to Be Vol. 4." Discovered in this same haul were three alternate takes of Charlie Patton ("Hammer Blues," "Some of These Days," "Elder Greene Blues") as well as Son House's unissued Pm recording of "Walking Blues," plus a couple of other items, a couple of which were by Charlie Spand. I think the Louise Johnson alternate take of "All Night Long" comes from this batch as well.
Chris

Tags: Tommy Johnson 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal