collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She got up this mornin', come-a-tippin' 'cross the floor. Said mama, in her lovin' stockin' feet: "Honey, fare thee, Papa fare the well. I done all in the world I could trying to get along with you - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Stocking Feet Blues

Author Topic: Name the guitarist  (Read 1840 times)

Offline eric

Re: Name the guitarist
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »
A tune from the same session

also, alyoung is correct, I was looking at the previous session

DGR gives the guitarist on the previous session (June 6, 1929) as Blind Blake, but says "unknown, g" for the August 17, 1929, session
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:46:54 AM by eric »
--
Eric

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
hmm. interesting
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »
Surely it's Josh White, nobody played in vestapol or bent the low strings like that. He's got such a distinct sound as well and recorded Good Gal for himself.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 05:30:44 AM »
I'm surprised that if "Good Gal" was recorded at the same session that DGR had any doubt at all about who the guitarist was.  The fact that they did illustrates my problem with that reference:  too much reliance on session notes and not enough on ears.

The problem with "ears" is that they are subjective. The tracks we are now discussing are relatively clear-cut, so "ears" are reasonably safe. But many other "unknowns" are not so clear-cut, and postulating on aural evidence only has led to all sorts of arguments. So DGR's compilers have opted to take a conservative line and pin their faith primarily on those session notes. That policy is explained more fully in the book's introduction (on page -x-). One might not agree with it, but that's how they do it. 

Offline eric

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
There were four Charlie Spand tunes recorded at this session, August 17, 1929.  Here are the other two:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:54:24 PM by eric »
--
Eric

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal