collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If We Don't Sin, Jesus Will Have Died For Nothing - bumper sticker

Author Topic: Smoky Babe & Herman E. Johnson--Louisiana Country Blues, Arhoolie CD440  (Read 2433 times)

Offline ryan

I just picked up a cd last week called Louisiana country blues on Arhoolie cat # 440.  They put 2 lps on one cd (recorded circa 60-61).  The first half is Smoky Babe and the other is Herman E. Johnson.  I really enjoyed both artists alot and I loved Smoky's voice.  I work in a cd store and the cd had been calling out to me for a few months so I'm glad I finally picked it up.  I bought Smokey's other cd reissued on Fantasy which I thought was good as well, but I like the Arhoolie release better.
Take care,
    ryan
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:59:52 AM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: smoky babe
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:49:44 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Arhoolie Smoky Babe. I have the Hottest Brand Goin' CD on Fantasy and think it's great, so will definitely look for this one. I don't think I've heard Herman E. Johnson before.

Anyone wanting to hear samples of this record can check out the Arhoolie page.

Offline ryan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 12:58:16 AM »
cool, I also enjoyed hottest brand goin' but the arhoolie release just hit me at the right time.  I really enjoyed Herman's laid back slide playing as well as his vocals.  I would also suggest (if you don't already have it) A Mance Lipscomb that came out a little while ago on rhino handmade.  It is entitled "trouble in mind" and I believe was a limited release of 2500 copies.  Beautiful packaging as well.. take care
Ryan

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:55:13 AM »
Co-incidence or what? I passed JMM  the Arhoolie at the EBA Bluesweek.
Herman Johnson has got IMHO the most miserable voice in the blues. I defy you to listen to Depression Blues without becoming depressed!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 06:33:33 AM »
For completists, I notice that Smoky Babe also has a couple tracks on the Arhoolie disc Country Negro Jam Session. Realaudio samples on the Arhoolie page. Sounds like a great disc actually, although the title might force me to mail order it only rather than bring it to a cash register in a store!  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal