collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You know, folks, there's just seventeen of us kids. There's eight boys, seven girls, and two other children - Lonnie Glosson, Arkansas Hard Luck Blues

Author Topic: New Paramount Book of Blues  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
Re: New Paramount Book of Blues
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
I guess nobody in the USA is going to carry this, which is the only conceivable way to pay cheap postage. I say bite the bullet and get it now because I don't see something like this ever going for anything less than 60 euros.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
I sent Elderly an email suggesting they carry it. Even if the overall price isn't lower than buying it direct from Alex or Guido, it might generate a few more sales for Alex.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 02:59:13 AM »
That was 19 euros, not 19 dollars (but there's not a lot in it -- it equals a bit over $21). But you are right about US postage -- eye-watering. I just bought a book from Amazon (on bluegrass, but we all have our weaknesses) and the postage is more than the cost of the book. Ridiculous. A few places can/will do cheaper postage; one is Elderly Instruments. 

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
Thanks for the correction, Al. International postage rates are crazy. I don't know what the thinking behind doing away with the surface option was--or even if there was any thinking behind it. There are several UK booksellers  that have reasonable rates to the U.S., but my guess is that they either have or contract with a U.S. fulfillment center or they are of a scale that allows them to contract with a freight company and ship en masse, and when it gets to the U.S. individual orders are then handed off to the U.S. Postal Service. In the U.S., USPS provides the "last mile" delivery service for UPS, FedEx, and DHL. But I digress...(as usual)

Given Amazon's scale and volume, I'm surprised that they don't do the same for their international customers. But it's all about money--and what do I know, anyway?

Good on you for doing the editing work on the various volumes. No shame in pointing out your excellent work and the excellent quality of the volumes.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
Postage within the US is often totally variable and therefore more or less eye watering depending on the seller. The fact is each seller can say anything they want to improve their own margins. Running a creamery way out in the NY sticks we have to buy a lot on line or via email, think Sears & Rebuck catalog, 1928. It's sort of cute, but expensive.

It's either that or drive 30 miles to pick up a ream of inkjet paper!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:36:39 PM by Rivers »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 07:42:23 AM »
Correction: That's not "postage", that's "shipping and handling".

US Postal Service has relatively inexpensive flat rate boxes. if it fit in the box it ships, regardless of weight. Ebay companies and others charge high rates for just putting it in the box to pad their profit on inexpensive items.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline jostber

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
Just ordered this book from Frog Records together with the "Blues for Francis" book and a couple of CDs: Bessie Smith and Deep South Piano. All at a fine postage rate. Looking forward to get this.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
"On the threshold of finishing "The New Paramount Book of Blues." Just in time to celebrate Paramount's Centennial.

It was a hundred years ago today
Maurice Supper taught the bund to play
The early singles have gone out of style
But the 12000 Series is still worth a pile

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
Just stumbled on the Big Road Blues post of a review of 'New Paramount Book of Blues' along with a few others here:
http://sundayblues.org/?p=12889

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
I've received my copy from Frog.

The book is 6.5" x 9.5" (16 x 24 cm) and 1.25" thick, clothbound with dust wrapper. 418 pages on heavy, smooth coated (not glossy) paper.

There are 58 mini-biographies, mostly the obscurities but also Patton, Charlie Jackson, Son House, and Tommy Johnson. I assume these are here because of some new tidbits of information, but I wasn't sure what that was.

Alex states unequivocally that "Geeshie" Wiley is the same person as Lillie Mae Wiley/Scott who died age 41 in Brazos County, Texas, on July 29, 1950. The author of the 2014 NYT piece left this as speculation. It's unclear to me why Alex is so confident with this ID. There is a photo of a couple of women from the 1930s, found at an antique store, that "may" be Geeshie Wiley and LV Thomas. I have a strong feeling that this ID may be from the Robert Johnson School of Photographic Research.

I think some of these pieces have been published here and there, but it's nice to have them all collected together under one cover.

There are photos, label shots, and ads, some printed in color. I didn't see anything that seemed previously unknown or unpublished, but I'm probably wrong.

Recommended for Paramount fans. I assume this is a limited printing and will go pretty fast, so get it now or pay $200 later.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 06:31:38 AM »
This book is now for sale at 35 euro (was 50 euro). All the books on the site are for sale.

A volume 2 is in the making with a 70 page piece on King Solomon Hill.  Also a chapter on Bert Mays, Six Cilinder Smith, Red Mike Bailey, Ruby Paul, George "Bullet" Williams and additional info on Charlie Spand.

Agram Blues
https://agramblues.com/

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
Great, thanks for the heads up harry! I'm hoping Deep South Piano is available as well!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
It probably is. Looks like only a couple of LP's are sold out.
I got the "New Paramount Book of Blues" book and it's stunning.
It's a real steal at this price point and like Gilgamesh noted it will be worth 6 times more when it goes out of print.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal