collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A room without a woman is like a heart without a beat - Curtis Jones, Lonesome Bedroom Blues

Author Topic: Help identifying a song  (Read 747 times)

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Help identifying a song
« on: August 15, 2019, 06:23:44 AM »
Hi all,
I started watching a short documentary about what can best be described as a very involved internet riddle/puzzle/mystery that people have been spending years trying to decode. Part of the riddle involves a song which sounds a bit Fahey-ish to my ears and even sounds like something I may have heard before/possibly something derived from the canon of country or country blues songs. I was hoping maybe someone here might be able to fully put their finger on it:

If anyone is curious to learn more about the riddle here is the documentary I was watching:

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Help identifying a song
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:02:37 AM »
Sounds more John Renborn/Pentagle-ish to me, but there are others here with a far greater awareness of that ouvre than me.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
I thought of Davey Graham, Blue Raga. Any of those great-for-jamming middle eastern forms that were going around back then and still are.

I'd guess it's an interpretation though, the guitar is nice but I don't think it's Mr G, who was, IMO, unique, often for the better! As you may have discerned I loved Davey's playing and still do.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:11:41 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
... and TenBrook, you are evil posting an internet riddle/puzzle/mystery on here!  :P

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
Thanks Wax and Rivers. Might just be one of those songs that has enough common notes to seem familiar. And yeah, I can't help but think I thought of WC since the song was a bit in the vein of common interests and also I know some of you enjoy a good puzzle. From what I gathered from the documentary this one seems pretty tricky though with lots of people having dedicated many fruitless hours already.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
Hi Lew:

It sounds familiar, but "familiar" as a type of song, rather than any specific song that I remember. Like many, I've been listening to this genre (guitar soli) for what seems like a zillion years. But the number of players and songs have expanded so much over the decades that it's possible I just missed this one--or that it was composed and recorded specifically for this project.

I didn't watch the puzzler. If only because when it comes to great big mysteries, I'm still wondering what Diddie Wa Diddie means.

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Thanks Stuart. I think you're correct that this is just something composed for the project. One of the interesting things is that the majority of those listening to the composition (i.e. those attempting to solve the puzzle) are mostly unfamiliar with this type of music and based on the youtube comments many of them are thirsting to hear more.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal