collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This guy wanted to marry me. He said "It's me or the horn." I said, "Well, it ain't you, babe" - Martye Awkerman, trumpet, quoted in Swing Shift, "All-Girl" Bands of the 1940s by Sherrie Tucker

Author Topic: My version of McTell's Brokedown Engine  (Read 1568 times)

chris nightbird

My version of McTell's Brokedown Engine
« on: May 21, 2005, 11:07:12 AM »
Hey Weenies!
I'd like to share this with y'all. Let me know what ya think of it...

http://www.motagator.net/play.php?band_id=130&song_id=527&mode=song_lofi
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 11:10:33 AM by chris nightbird »

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: My version of McTell's Brokedown Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 02:47:38 PM »
Great to hear you, Chris!  Sounds fantastic.  You sure sing up a storm.  Like waxwing, I'd be curious if you are patterning this after a particular McTell version.  This isn't the guitar style I'd associate with McTell - that doesn't make it bad (!) - just wondering where the guitar approach came from, since I think I understood your other post to mean that you were heavily influenced by McTell.  Also curious how/where this was recorded - doesn't sound like a typical Weenie recorded on a minidisc!

tom

chris nightbird

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 08:40:27 PM »
Actually, I've only heard one version of the song. It's on a 2 - disc CD comp. I've got called "Blues, Blues, Blues". I think it's one of those 'cut-outs', but it sure has some great music on it by the likes of McTell, Robert Johnson (another heavy influence), Leroy Carr, Leadbelly, Tampa Red, Big Bill Broonzy... so many...
My singing and playing comes from a lot of different places. The playing on that song is done with a pick, 'cos I was getting back to using my fingers at the time, and wasn't really confident yet. Still, I only got that version of the song after 3 takes. Each one done live...

The recorder I use is a ZOOM MRS-800, and it's the best one I've ever used. It's got a built-in CD burner, and it was fairly inexpensive for $600!

Thanks for listening Tom.

Duke

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 05:41:16 PM »
Hi Chris,  I think you have a great voice - good phrasing, nice range.  I like hearing these old tunes being re-imagined in a different style.  Nice to see that link to the past still thriving in new music.  What kind of guitar are you using?
Dan

chris nightbird

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 08:39:42 PM »
Thank you much Duke.
On that song I'm using my Ventura 12-string. Probably my favorite of my guitars.

Here's a song I did recently on my 6-string Electromuse. It's an original tune called "Deep Blue Sea". It's my first solo slide recording...

http://www.motagator.net/play.php?band_id=130&song_id=580&mode=song_lofi

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal