collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
They measure your boiler, measure your wheat, half a pound of sugar for a person to eat. Folks don't like it, they blamed Uncle Sam. You got to save your sugar for the boys in France - Blind Willie Johnson, When The War Was On

Author Topic: Here are a few tunes I've been working on.  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Deluge

• My Myspace Page
Here are a few tunes I've been working on.
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/v/xo7HBC9pP2g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0

I should practice a little more with a metronome...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:33:03 AM by Deluge »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: Here are a few tunes I've been working on.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
..nice job, Deluge, right sporty pickin' and your relaxed voice fits the songs .. like the little Oahu!  oh, and you got the 1000 yd stare down, too   ;D

..thanks for posting the vids, Tom
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:15:32 PM by onewent »

Offline Deluge

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
Hey thanks Tom!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »
I like it!  Especially Bob McKinney.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Deluge

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »

Here's another.  I feel a little more comfortable with the idea of camera in the room ;)

Thanks for the comments!

Offline jopoke

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:46:11 AM »
Great stuff!  Nice singing also...

Thanks, Joe

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
That was some great singing and playing!

Cheers

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:47:19 AM »
Good stuff, Deluge. Not sure why you mention the metronome. Time seems pretty much solid to me throughout. Nice singing!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:27:07 AM »
I like that you seem concerned with the story telling aspect of these songs, how to present them, perform them, with a degree of dramatic content. I wouldn't shy away from concentrating on that quality. Too often people get hung up on the guitar parts and forget the song's larger picture at which point nobody but other guitar players care. Having said that I feel you could be a bit more casual and playful with the guitar parts. They feel a little like the work of a dutiful student at the moment, accomplished, but not an equal partner to your voice and presentation. John Hurt constantly punctuated his playing with dramatic rhythmic emphasis at certain points in the telling of his story and his playing was also infused with humor, musical puns, and prat falls of a sort. A metronome is the last thing you need. A little temporal elasticity would be the ticket imo. And then there's the sepia....cool ;) Good work!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Yeah...love the sepia tone...fits the music well.

Great singing and playing...its obvious that you are comfortable playing these pieces...but I agree with Omuck that now its time to make them your own.  But don't stress about that...it will come.  Remember that in most of the MJH recordings we have today he had been playing these tunes for 4-5 decades!  these things take time.

I look fwd to more if you are willing.

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
Very nice, I like the voice  :)

You seem to play without glancing at the guitar at all, I'm also intigued to know what it is you are looking at  ;)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Guitar Jim

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 04:54:13 AM »
I listened to Nobody's Dirty Business, and in my opinion "you've nailed the style very well indeed". Fine guitar pickin' there. Unlike lots of people you clearly have an understanding of what to put in and what to leave out.  Just as importantly, the way you balance the bass and treble is spot on. It would have been good to see a little bit of variation, just a few notes here and a few notes there, plus a bit of light and shade regarding volume levels ......... MJH infuses these things into his playing, and it only needs to be subtle and slight variations in order to make an impact. From watching the video, I'm sure all this stuff is well within your grasp. I'd say just continue doing what you've been doing and everything will come eventually.

You've also done what most people can't do: You've nailed the singing as well. You have a nice degree of "breath" in the vocals, and this clearly enables you to sing in a relaxed, yet controlled, way.

In my opinion you've nailed both the guitar and vocals. Maybe the next step could be to inject a bit more of "you" into the mix. This is bound to happen anyway the longer you keep singing and playing. Have you tried writing your own tunes in this style?   

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
great to see some new players (new to me...) about the back porch.  I agree this is really nice, your voice particularly has a great natural quality. 

tom

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal