collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I'd go see him he says 'Whenever I get up, if I live to get up, me and you gonna put out nothin' but gospel music... I done joined the church and don't wanna play no more blues.' I told him 'Okay' but I wasn't lookin' for him to get up - Sam Chatmon, on Lonnie's conversion

Author Topic: Favorite singers  (Read 36889 times)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Favorite singers
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »
MJH I think your family needs educating, sadly so do mine as they also share the same (poor) taste  ;)

Yeah, it's mostly my brother, he listens to modern rock and stuff, and I wouldn't mine so much if he could at least appreciate the blues.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2007, 01:52:49 PM »
For sheer power, delivery, timing and dynamics it's hard to look past Big Bill Broonzy. Loooo---weeeeeze....!!! always does it to me.

Charley Patton and Sleepy John Estes are my other two favorites. Was listening to Patton half asleep last night, iPod was on shuffle, Screamin' & Hollerin' The Blues came on and I found myself thinking "this man is the perfect blues singer".

Estes plaintive, pleading voice works so well with his loping, nicely-out-of-tune bands. Classic folk singer way before his time. Sometimes mangles the words like he's chewing tobacco.

Memphis Minnie is huge around my house. She had it all, the songs, the chops, the voice and a great sense of humor.

Did anyone mention Howlin' Wolf?

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »
I've gotta throw a plug in for Johnny Shines - I saw him in person twice. So much power in his voice, it made the hair on my arms stand up.

I wish I had had the chance to see/hear Howlin' Wolf - by all reports, he had a similar effect, but on the opposite sex and on a different anatomical detail.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »
Hi all,
I've been listening a lot to the recently released George Mitchell Recordings on Fat Possum, and one musician who comes across really well in his singing on that set is Houston Stackhouse.  He had a big, bright, very clear tenor voice, and he really sounds superb on the Tommy Johnson songs he covers there.  I saw him once at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the Mall in Washington, D.C., circa 1971, but I don't remember his singing impressing me the same way at that time.
All best,
Johnm   

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
Wow! So glad this thread was brought back to life!  I need to track down some stuff from the names I'm not familiar with. 
Most of my favorites have been listed already, but some are worth mentioning again.  Here's a few off the top of my head :
Snooks Eaglin (more than blues, I know, but...)
Dan Pickett
Brownie McGhee
Blind Willie McTell
Sam Collins
Teddy Darby
Washboard Sam

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »
Johnny Shines, Crying Sam Collins, and Richard "Rabbit" Brown for me. Mr. Brown sang like the ghost of an Irish tenor trapped in a black man from New Orleans' body!
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline CF

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2008, 05:42:56 AM »
Freddie Spruell is an exciting singer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:49:46 PM by cheapfeet »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:08 AM »
I know Johnny Temple has been mentioned before.  I was never all that big a Johnny Temple fan, but whenever he comes up when I'm shuffling through a bunch of singers on the iPod, I stop and think "What a great voice".  Hearing him in the mix with a bunch of other singers shows him off to advantage and has made me appreciate him much more than I used to.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
Hi all,
I was listening to Julius Daniels on the "Atlanta Blues" JSP set today and I think he was a great singer, with a rich, deep voice.  I tend to forget about him from time to time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »
Hi all,
I was listening to Julius Daniels on the "Atlanta Blues" JSP set today and I think he was a great singer, with a rich, deep voice.  I tend to forget about him from time to time.
All best,
Johnm

Yes, John - I have the Matchbox LP "Atlanta Blues 1927-30" with Julius Daniels and Lil McClintock which is a real favourite. It never ceases to amaze me how good the recording quality is on those cuts.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2009, 02:16:14 AM »
A lot of my personal favourites have already been listed.I also think Arthur Crudup is a sublime singer.Couldn`t see him mentioned-i apologise
if i missed his name somewhere.
lyndvs.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2009, 04:00:32 AM »
Yes, John - I have the Matchbox LP "Atlanta Blues 1927-30" with Julius Daniels and Lil McClintock which is a real favourite. It never ceases to amaze me how good the recording quality is on those cuts.
Probably because they were "sourced" from a UK 1965 JD EP see http://www.wirz.de/music/rcxfrm.htm   >:D

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2009, 04:41:48 AM »
Many of the obvious ones for me have already been mentioned and I'm conscious we have mainly stuck with the oldies.  Indeed I mentioned Son House and John Lee Hooker on the 2nd page.

I have to give a nod here though to Rhiannon Giddens of the Carolina Chocolate drops.  She has a voice that could stop a herd of cows at 50 yards, but is still full of nuance, sensuality and subtlety.

There aren't many vocal performances that send shivers repeatedly down my spine when I listen to them, but her vocal on a track called Black Eye Blues does just that.  One of my favourite vocals of all time.  Darn near perfect.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:45 AM »
Rhiannon Giddens!  HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... wot a goil!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline LeftyStrat

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2009, 12:04:53 AM »
Some of my Favorite Blues singers are quite honestly the ones that've been mentioned previously. One that I haven't seen mentioned yet (and likely because he only recorded about 4 tracks, as far as I know) is Alphoncy Harris.

He recorded two sides with his wife & Willie McTell and there are a coupla others on a Document CD of an artist I can't quite recall (Curtis Jones, I *believe*). There's something about his singing that I really like, although I'm not sure I can put my finger on it.

Any other opinions?

Lefty  :D
Stop by and give a listen! :)

http://www.facebook.com/leftystratblues

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal