collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't play by alphabet - Robert Belfour, in response to a PT05 question on what note he was playing

Author Topic: The search function  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: The search function
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
That's pretty funny, I thought you were discussing the left one, which I thought was not working because had I stolen the code from the top right one and in so doing had somehow broken the code.

So they both don't work quite right. I feel much better now!

[later: I just re-read the whole thread and Gumbo's test did seem to confirm the top search is working correctly]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:23:06 PM by Rivers »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm not quite sure I can follow you gentlemen, but I was referring in the search box on the upper right corner.   :)

Millions of thanks for taking care of such issues for us!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
OK, so I'm back to feeling better, I just migrated an existing bug to the left menu search. I'll see if it's been reported on the SMF site, maybe there's a fix we can apply to both searches.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:25:21 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
The reason one gets fewer results for "lonzie" searching with the drop-down menu set to "This topic" is you are only searching this current thread. This is useful for enormous threads like some lyric threads that run to 15-20 + pages when you want to find a certain song discussion. If you want to search the whole forum, you need to set it accordingly. The default setting when viewing a thread is "This topic"; the default when viewing a board (e.g. the Lyrics board) is "This board"; the default when viewing the main forum page is "Entire forum".

It seems that when searching using the left-hand search box, if you set it to search "Entire forum" and the top right search box is still set to "This topic", you get "This topic"/limited results. Vice-versa may also be true.

However, there is still buggy behaviour. I find that sometimes when there is punctuation in the search string such as an apostrophe, results are sometimes wrong. Sometimes the inclusion of words of less than three letters in a search string can also turn up incorrect results.

I don't know if the search Google function of the menu yields different results but it would be worth testing obviously.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »
FWIW when I can't locate someting by using the tags I use the search facilty located between HELP and PROFILE and it's never failed me.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 03:54:53 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications and tips, everyone! I'll get back to practicing how to use the search function.  :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:35 AM »

It seems that when searching using the left-hand search box, if you set it to search "Entire forum" and the top right search box is still set to "This topic", you get "This topic"/limited results. Vice-versa may also be true.

good catch. vice versa isn't true though - i get a larger set of results using the 'entire board' from the top right.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »

good catch. vice versa isn't true though - i get a larger set of results using the 'entire board' from the top right.

Yup, looks like top right settings definitely control the left-hand menu search parameters and not vice versa, which would makes sense, since it is the original search function code, while as Rivers said, the left menu was added in as a modification.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 06:45:33 AM »
Yup, looks like top right settings definitely control the left-hand menu search parameters and not vice versa, which would makes sense, since it is the original search function code, while as Rivers said, the left menu was added in as a modification.

Aha, there you go.  I think we need to cut Rivers salary.   :P

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:27 AM »
To be clear, I wasn't assigning blame.  :D Not like I could have figured out how to add the additional search box without weeks of painful study.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
Wan't trying to imply you were of course - just being my usual smart-ass self.   :)  Nice to have that mystery solved though... it's kinda confusing! ..and rivers needs a project.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
I do need a project, I'll experiment with it on my local installation on the weekend, the only thing I have booked is a blues mando workshop w/SteveJ on Sunday afternoon [edit later: whoops, that's next Sunday] at local music store Fiddler's Green.

I think your analysis is correct, good work, I had not considered that. That being the case the first thing to try would be removing the top right search entirely, since it's kind of redundant with the left search always visible, and see if that fixes it.

Cut my salary!? :P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:01:11 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
The left menu search is now working according to the Principal of Least Astonishment.

I removed the top right search, its context drop-down default selection was confusing the left menu version, as you guys rightly diagnosed. If you still see search at the top right press F5 to force your browser to reload everything.

Thanks, saved a lot of time y'all figuring that out.

For the record for the next upgrade, it was in the div box labelled "news" in index.template.php. I backed up the old version and replaced it.

If you were used to using the top right search apologies for that, please use the search box immediately underneath the Member Info block in the left menu. It works identically to the removed top right one.

Thanks for reporting and diagnosing the problem, please test it out, and just holler if there are any other issues.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:18:25 AM by Rivers »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Thanks Rivers!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »
Thanks Rivers!

Seconded!