collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hey, baby, you just as full of gas as you can be. Because when you get drunk, you come home and blow up on me - Charley Jordan, Gasoline Blues

Author Topic: Unable to download music  (Read 6501 times)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
Unable to download music
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:39:07 PM »
I haven't been able to download music for quite awhile. I'm on dial-up and have itunes.

Hey Slack, I did get the time and date set on my computer! Is that progress? Or what?

Regards, Phil

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Unable to download music
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »
Hi Phil, by download, do you mean Weenie Juke?

For you, time and date would be progress.   ;D

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 08:01:59 PM »
Yes the Weenie Juke. Who says time marches forward?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:00:46 AM »
Phil,

Download the latest version of Winamp Lite here:

http://winamp.com/player/free.php

and you'll be set.

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 06:59:54 PM »
Hello Slack, Close, but no cigar. I downloaded the winamp lite ok, then went to the Juke and hit Winamp AAC+ 24K.

Zero!

Then hit Winamp MP3.

Bingo!

However, the network stalls every minute or so; the same with iTunes MP3.

Did I tell you, I finally got the date and time set on my computer?!!

Phil

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:16:06 PM »
Hello Slack, Close, but no cigar. I downloaded the winamp lite ok, then went to the Juke and hit Winamp AAC+ 24K.

HI Phil,

Did you install Winamp from the file you downloaded?  :D  (sorry, gotta check the basics first)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 09:13:08 PM »
Install? After I read your last post I thought I'd try to save you some time and see if I could get the damn thing running (big mistake!!). I clicked on the winamp-lite icon and it asked me to choose an application. I chose itunes then hit the open button. Now when I click on the winamp-lite icon it opens itunes but I still can't hear the juke. Otherwise, it's the same as my last post.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Phil

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 03:16:09 AM »
I should get that cigar and smoke it while you think about this  ;)

I have not installed Winamp lately, but when it says install program.. surely you want to install winamp not iTunes.. that is based on my theory that it is going to be Winamp that plays the juke or should I get another cigar and think about it too !!

No doubt Slack will correct us both.....  :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 05:52:21 AM »
Actually, I never saw any install button or instructions to install. I presumed that it did whatever it needed automatically.

Sorry Richard. No free cigar yet. But now I've got a can of worms. Yummy!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 06:41:37 AM »
Well, if all else fails Phil -- you can email me your phone number and I'll try to walk you through.

In the meantime.  Teh sequence of events should have gone something like this:

clickin on the "Lite" button on this page: http://winamp.com/player/free.php

you should have been prompted to Open or Save the download, click Save
you should then be prompted for a location on your computer, choose your desktop
Via a phone line the 1.2 meg file should take 5 or more minutes to download.
After downloading, close your browser and double click the "winamp532_lite.exe" file and follow the prompts (ie accept the defaults) to install the application.

Make sense or am I talking Greek?

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »
Oh Boy! Here is basicly what hapened. I clicked on the Lite button and it started downloading automatically (via the download manager?). I presume it downloaded to the desktop as that is where the icon is.

At this point my memory is a bit fuzzy about what happened next but, I clicked on the buttons on the Weenie Juke page as I said before with results as stated in my previous post.

After reading your reply about installation, I clicked on the icon which opened a window, asking me to choose an application from a drop down menu that only offered "all Applications" and another window showing the applications. I selected itunes and clicked on the open button. As a result, the winamp icon is linked to itunes. That is; when I click on the icon it opens the itunes window however, no music. I trashed the winamp icon and listenpls's and downloaded the winamp lite again, which again left the icon on the desktop. When I clicked on it this time it bypassed the installation window and again opened the itunes window and again no music. I have never seen anything referring to installation.

I have a feeling that somehow the winamp icon has to be unlinked from itunes to start over?

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

regards, Phil

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 02:06:02 PM »
Hmm. Sounds weird.  :D Perhaps you have somehow associated the Winamp installation file with iTunes. Forgive me if any of this is obvious:

1. First, forget about clicking on any Juke buttons for the moment.

2. Try right-clicking on the Winamp lite file icon on your desktop and then select Properties from the menu that appears. A window will pop up with some information about the file. Make sure the file name shown is winamp532_lite.exe and make sure the Size is 1.33 MB. If these are correct click "Cancel". If they aren't, delete the file and try downloading again.

3. Next try using the Run feature on your Start Menu to begin the installation (maybe there's something wonky about your Desktop). To do this (in Windows XP), click on Start, then on Run from the list of options. A window will pop up.

4. There may be a filename in this window already. Ignore it and select "Browse". This will open another window showing your folders. There should be a series of quick links on the left (Recent, My Computer, Desktop etc). Select Desktop. Then find that winamp532_lite.exe file, click it once and then click "Open".

5. The Winamp installation should begin. Follow the defaults as Slack suggested.

If iTunes starts instead, then I'd say you've definitely associated the .exe installation file with iTunes, which will require another fix.

6. You may have to load the Juke manually in Winamp by starting the program and pasting in the URL http://s4.viastreaming.net:7160/listen.pls  instead of clicking on the buttons on the Juke page. iTunes and Winamp will both use the listen.pls, and if .pls files are already associated with iTunes on your computer, clicking on the Juke's Winamp buttons will always start iTunes instead until that setting is changed.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:10:22 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 02:42:49 PM »
Thanks UB, appreciate it -- looks like iTunes has taken over the world.  :)

One exception, this:
You may have to load the Juke manually in Winamp by starting the program and pasting in the URL http://s4.viastreaming.net:7160/listen.pls  instead of clicking on the buttons on the Juke page.

should read:

You may have to load the Juke manually in Winamp by starting the program and pasting in the URL http://countryblues.org:8000/listen.pls  instead of clicking on the buttons on the Juke page.

...the link for the 24K stream.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 04:20:53 PM »
If all else fails uninstall everything and reinstall armed with the knowledge you gained first time around!

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »
The nightmare continues. First let me thank all that have taken time to repsond. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Let's face it. I should never be allowed to operate anything more complicated than a George Foreman Grill. I really long for those days when you just twisted a knob and wiggled the antenna a little. Not likely to get any Charley Patton though.

Anyway, as Slack has suggested itunes has taken over the world. At least in my computer. No matter how many times I download winamp-lite, each time when I click on the icon, it opens the itunes window and no music. It has definitely become linked to itunes and I can't figure out how to uninstall it as there really never was any installation offered. I have trashed all the downloaded icons and re-downloaded and still get the same result.

I should never have reset that time and date. 1970 was a very good year.

Regards, Phil   

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal