collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I'll blow your mother ****ing head off - Robert Lockwood Jr's response to record executives trying to cheat him out of his money

Author Topic: Writer seeks other writers doing blues music research  (Read 467 times)

Offline mick655

• Howdy!
Writer seeks other writers doing blues music research
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the board. I'm a pro writer and posted a note about a fundraiser for a headstone for Mamie Smith a couple of weeks ago. In the interim I have been researching the lives of Perry Bradford and Mamie Smith and the recording industry from 1910 or so for a book.

I would love to correspond with or meet professional writers experienced at performing blues/historical research. I am getting frustration headaches daily and could sure use some feedback/input.

I live in Princeton, New Jersey.

Many thanks,
Michael

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Writer seeks other writers doing blues music research
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
Hi  Michael:

Welcome to Weenie Campbell. If you are not a member already, you should join the Yahoo! Pre-War Blues Group. Here's the link:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/pre-war-blues/

You might have to create a Yahoo! A/C to join. Many of us here at WC are also members.

Princeton is a nice area. I have a couple of friends who live there and teach at PU. Several of our members live in the NJ/NY area.

Offline jphauser

• Howdy!
Re: Writer seeks other writers doing blues music research
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
Hi Michael,
One person you might want to get in touch with is Adam Gussow.  He might be in the Pre-war Blues Group recommended by Stuart.  If you're not already familiar with his work related to "Crazy Blues," check the link below for info about an article he wrote titled "Shoot Myself a Cop": Mamie Smith's "Crazy Blues" as Social Text. 

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/cal/summary/v025/25.1gussow.html

I don't know him, but I found a link to a page with contact info.
http://english.olemiss.edu/2011/10/16/adam-gussow/

I first heard "Crazy Blues" just a couple years ago and was surprised by the lyrics about shooting a cop.  Since hearing it, I've always wondered if Smith or Bradford suffered any fallout over the lyric.  Rapper Ice-T's song "Cop Killer," in which he fantasized about killing a police officer was dropped from an album (possibly titled "Body Count") back in the late 1990s if my memory is correct.  I believe that police organizations pressured the record company into dropping it.

You might check into what was written about "Crazy Blues" at the time it was popular.  I'd be particularly interested in what black newspapers may have written about it.  If you're interested in going that route, I'm pretty sure you can have free access to databases of old newspapers, including black newspapers, at most public university libraries

Jim Hauser
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:57:05 PM by jphauser2000 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal