collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't like to play the blues, it makes me too depressed - Steve Martin, The Jerk

Author Topic: Blues wallpaper  (Read 921 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Blues wallpaper
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Blues wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
Thanks Chris, I found that pretty amazing, I had never seen most of those ads before. Makes you realize we've probably only scratched the surface of the commercial graphics that were out there promoting race recordings. It's reassuring that people are turning up 'new' stuff from back then.

It's interesting that the style and rendering is more homegrown than the Chicago Defender classics we've all seen. Probably the images that have become famous was the more technically rendered material which is probably why it was preserved. However the more amateur fringe stuff is equally interesting, well actually maybe even more so, IMO

Not to mention the context... who lived in that house, that they would plaster the fireplace with crazy newspaper ads for blues records?? Another destination for the wayback m/c.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:04:23 PM by Rivers »

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:48:31 AM »
crazy newspaper ads...
...indeed

So is there anywhere you can find a bunch of these posters... also how come so many of them are so well preserved?

[attachment deleted by admin]
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
So is there anywhere you can find a bunch of these posters... also how come so many of them are so well preserved?

I would assume, apart from the ones John Tefteller has the originals for, that they come from microfilm or bound copies of the Chicago Defender or the New York Amsterdam News. If the microfilm was taken properly in the first place they can be in pretty good shape.

What amazed me about these particular images was how many music ads there were on one page.

BTW, I think there are online archives of both these papers, but you might have to subscribe to a service.
Chris

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
What amazed me about these particular images was how many music ads there were on one page.

Good point, that struck me also. I'd only seen them tucked into a corner of a news page before now but those images imply they were grouped together on whole pages, who knows how many pages.

I just might subscribe to to such a service.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:57:53 PM by Rivers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal