collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Usually it'll sound better if you don't rehearse it - Doc Watson plays with Earl Scruggs, The Complete Earl Scruggs Story

Author Topic: robert johnson  (Read 4495 times)

Offline jostber

Re: robert johnson
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »
There is a quite nice article by Terry Heath on Johnson in the last Frog Blues & Jazz Annual No.2: "The Truth About Robert Johnson".

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:52:08 AM by Johnm »

Offline CF

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »
Just after posting the above response I ran across this You Tube video about The Deluxe Robert Johnson Centennial Collection. Some of you may find this interesting. Also, there are 12 discs in this set, not the 10 that I stated in the previous post.

Looks like a nice set but I really wish there was a pre-war blues scholar panel or something :) that monitored the information going out to the general public via these kind of sets or whatever way the info is being disseminated. Like maybe a stamp of approval on such 'defining' releases. I see the box's booklet includes all these 'might be Robert Johnson' photos. Why? Apparently if I decide that a pic of someone is a historical figure, & my credentials are that I'm the check-out clerk at the local grocery store, then that is enough. Also, does anyone actually believe that Honeyboy Edwards was with Johnson the night he was killed?! Really? 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
I read somewhere that when Lomax found Honeyboy Edwards he was claiming to be Big Joe Williams.
I got the set and the 'might be Robert Johnson' photos were a mistake to include on the project in my opinion.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
I will be attending the January 19th program on the Robert Johnson remasters noted in the following link.  It should be interesting . . . to me, at least, since I'm not too well versed in such technical matters.

http://www.arsc-audio.org/chapters/ARSCNY_FLYERxii11_FINAL.doc

Offline misterjones

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »
Very interesting lecture by Seth Winner, who remastered the recent Robert Johnson CDs.  (He did not work on the vinyl, which was finalized before he got involved.)  He played samples of the pre-remastering transfers he received.  These were in large part new transfers from a variety of sources (and not just the original transfers used to make the LPs and earlier 1990s sets).  Boy, would I love to have a set of those! 

I'll post some other things I learned in some other relevant threads.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:48:22 AM by misterjones »

Tags: Robert Johnson 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal