Country Blues > Super Electrical Recordings!

Down in the Alley - Alvin Youngblood Hart

(1/4) > >>

uncle bud:
Only recently picked up Alvin's latest record, Down in the Alley. FrontPage recommended this way back when. This is back to the country blues Alvin, not an electric geetar to be heard, and it's great. It's pretty clear to me that he is one of the top performers of this material around today when he's playing it. Three songs into the disc and I was floored.

Track list:

1. Judge Bouche         
2. How Long Before I Change My Clothes         
3. Deep Blue Sea
4. Jinx Blues         
5. Bootlegger's Blues 
6. Alberta         
7. Broke And Hungry
8. Devil Got My Woman         
9. Chilly Winds
10. Tom Rushen Blues         
11. Please Baby         
12. Motherless Child

Alvin does great interpretations of Charlie Patton on Jinx Blues (which is really just him doing another version of Screamin and Hollerin) and Tom Rushen, a personal favorite. He also got me listening to the Mississippi Sheiks again with Bootlegger's Blues and Please Baby.  Forgot how much I love those guys. They have a tremendous variety of strong material - songs, blues, dances, hokum. Walter Vinson seems to me an unsung great. 

Couple of the tunes here on Alvin's record are done on banjo (Deep Blue Sea, Chilly Winds), couple have overdubbed mando (Broke and Hungry, Bootlegger's Blues).

Anyway, buy this record! :D

uncle bud

waxwing:
Looking forward to seeing Alvin at the Freight and Salvage February 27th. Miller, or any other Bay Area Weenies thinking they might make it?
Alvin sometimes posts on the IGS forum about his Todd Cambio replica of his Oscar Schmidt 12, so we've had a little interplay.
All for now.
john c.

uncle bud:
Hey John. Am very jealous. As they say in the Beverly Hillbillies song, "Californy is the place you oughta be." Especially with the weather we've been having in Montreal, where nary a country bluesman has passed through in a long time. Is Alvin playing solo or with a band? Enjoy the show...

It'd be nice to get him back to Port Townsend. I wasn't around the year he partook.

uncle bud

Reso1:
Yes, great CD! I've had it for awhile. I especially like "How long before I change my clothes." What a voice and groove!!! Alvin is IMHO one of the best acoustic bluesmen out there today.

My first time @ PTCBW, Mr. Hart taught. I sat in on a couple of his classes, and it was pretty "free form."  Focused directed instruction was not the "top priority" of the day. (8^)

Love to see him again in concert. Great footage of him in the DVD "Last of the Mississippi Jukes!"

Lee

uncle bud:

--- Quote from: Reso1 on February 03, 2004, 07:42:01 PM ---
My first time @ PTCBW, Mr. Hart taught. I sat in on a couple of his classes, and it was pretty "free form."? Focused directed instruction was not the "top priority" of the day. (8^)

Love to see him again in concert. Great footage of him in the DVD "Last of the Mississippi Jukes!"

Lee

--- End quote ---

Hi Lee,

Haven't seen the Jukes DVD yet. Aside from the Alvin footage is it any good?

I heard his classes at PT were a little "free-form" but would still enjoy getting him there again.

cheers,
uncle bud

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version