collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
And if anybody asks you who's singin' so straight, just tell 'em it's a quartet called the Golden Gate - Golden Gate Quartet, Every Time That I Feel The Spirit

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 247071 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #2475 on: March 23, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »
According to B&GR Josh White was at 2 sessions with Carr AND Blackwell on Friday 14 December, 1934 and the following Monday, 17 December in NYC. Both White and Blackwell played together behind Carr on 13 sides recorded at the two sessions, including Hustler's Blues. Blackwell backed Carr alone on 14 sides and White backed Carr alone on one song, Good Woman Blues, to which Blackwell contributed some spoken words. There has been previous discussion on this forum of these recordings. (Many of these sides were alternate takes and many were never issued.)

So I'm guessing it's possible that one was playing C at standard (White?) and the other was capo at 3rd and playing in A (more likely Blackwell)?

Wax

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 07:14:10 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline MarkC

« Reply #2476 on: March 23, 2023, 07:21:24 PM »
Wax -
I was aware that both White and Blackwell are listed as both playing on Hustler’s Blues, but I think that’s a mistake. I really only hear one guitar. There’s one track (I can’t remember which at the moment) that they’re both playing on that really doesn’t sound good IMO. I meant to review the tracks you mentioned, I just haven’t had time.

Added: I can’t say I know much about Blackwell’s playing, but the 3rd verse playing way up the neck sounds more like what I think of as fitting Blackwell’s style, so maybe it’s possible. Hope others who know more than me weigh in.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 07:37:09 PM by MarkC »

Offline CJB

• Howdy!
« Reply #2477 on: March 24, 2023, 06:39:51 AM »
Wax -
I was aware that both White and Blackwell are listed as both playing on Hustler’s Blues, but I think that’s a mistake. I really only hear one guitar. There’s one track (I can’t remember which at the moment) that they’re both playing on that really doesn’t sound good IMO. I meant to review the tracks you mentioned, I just haven’t had time.

Added: I can’t say I know much about Blackwell’s playing, but the 3rd verse playing way up the neck sounds more like what I think of as fitting Blackwell’s style, so maybe it’s possible. Hope others who know more than me weigh in.
I'm pretty sure it's Josh White, on "Hustler's Blues" at 1:23 he plays a very similar phrase like in "Little Brother Blues", another song in A position.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 06:47:41 AM by CJB »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2478 on: March 24, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
I only hear one guitar as well, and it's definitely White playing guitar, not Blackwell – they have very different styles and sound like themselves if you know what I mean. White's playing is a lot busier than Blackwell's.

White is definitely playing in A position, capoed up – the biggest giveaway being the open 6th string he hits in the bass during turnarounds.

Sounds to me in bars 9/10 of the second verse like he's playing a regular E7 chord, then moving it up 2 frets and walking it down a fret at a time before resolving it to the A.

And the high part is taking a D-shaped A chord which would be 9-10-9 on the top 3 strings and moving it up 3 frets to 12-13-12, and also getting notes on the 14th and 15th frets of the 1st string.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2479 on: March 24, 2023, 10:44:05 AM »
Having re-listened with a guitar, I think Chris has down

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2480 on: March 26, 2023, 11:37:47 AM »
Alright, I got one. Can anybody can figure out exactly what Mance Lipscomb plays from 1.04 to 1.07?
He's in A Position, drop-d. Goes from a E chord to a D chord, plays a beautiful run.

Mance Lipscomb - Goin' Down Slow

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2481 on: March 27, 2023, 09:42:18 AM »
One of my favorites – he's playing a regular 1st position E7 chord (thumb wrapped around the neck for the low E since he's in drop D), hammering on to the 1st fret 3rd string, then open 1st string, then 3rd fret 2nd string.

He plays a quick open 1st string as he changes to his D7 (or D9 I guess, but here he doesn't play the 1st string) chord, which has an F# in the bass – he fingers it
0-0-4-2-1-0
he kinda slides into that 4th fret 4th string note, then just goes up each string playing the chord, so 4th fret 4th string, 2nd fret 3rd string, 1st fret 2nd string. With that low D booming away, as you say, a beautiful run.

Chris

Online Forgetful Jones

« Reply #2482 on: March 27, 2023, 07:50:44 PM »
I love this clip. In the run mentioned (1:04-1:07), does Mance up-pick with the thumb at one point?

Mance is such a unique player. Even when you hit all the right notes, it's hard to pull off his exact sound.

Cheers

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2483 on: March 28, 2023, 03:19:47 PM »
I love this clip. In the run mentioned (1:04-1:07), does Mance up-pick with the thumb at one point?

Mance is such a unique player. Even when you hit all the right notes, it's hard to pull off his exact sound.

I don't think so, I think he's dropping his thumb down to hit the 4th string but I don't think he's catching on the way back. He's doing a lot in that little section though!
Chris

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2484 on: March 29, 2023, 02:48:49 PM »
Thanks, Chris.
I'll second Forgetful Jones, I try to play that exact run (like Chris explained it) but I'm having a hard time to sound like Mance.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2485 on: March 29, 2023, 03:54:50 PM »
I think when Mance plays that beat four triplet in the E7 measure, he gets the F and F# on the fourth string with two very quick downstrokes of his thumb and picks the third note of the triplet, the second fret of the third string, with his index finger. He hits those two downstrokes with his thumb so quickly it's almost a blur.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2486 on: August 25, 2023, 04:20:40 PM »
Hi all,
I realize this thread has gone more or less dormant but I discovered some recently posted performances by a really interesting player, Mott Willis, of Mississippi, and thought I might revive the thread for two numbers. The first is "Dresser Drawer Blues". Here it is:

INTRO SOLO

My babe was a dresser, I rambled all through her drawers (Spoken: Yeah)
I say my babe was a dresser, I'd search all through her drawers
I wouldn't stop searching, 'til I found her Santa Claus

Long, tall woman, she wears a top hat
A long, tall woman, she wears her top hat
I love that woman, what do you know 'bout that?

Quit your shoutin', gal, let your habit come down
I said quit your shoutin', (Spoken: Kind of mean old gal) and let your habit come down
Told you, babe

CODA

The questions on "Dresser Drawer Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Mott Willis use to play the song?
   * Where did Mott Willis fret the two brushed triplets he played in the treble around 1:36?
   * Where did Mott Willis fret the dissonant chord he hits in the treble at 1:56?

The second song, also by Mott Willis, is "Bad Night Blues". Here it is:

INTRO

I was out one bad night, baby, I was travelin' through the land (Spoken: Real lonesome)
I was out one bad night, mama, I was travelin' through the land
I was lookin' for a woman, says she didn't have no man (Spoken: Yeah, I found one, you know)

I found a lady, she says she's by herself
Yes, I found a lady, she says she's all by herself
I got to love that woman, her Pop, someone else (People, let me tell you that. see I asked her)

Asked her what he was there for, she looked at me and smiled
Asked her what he was there for, she looked at me and smiled
You know by that, gentleman, that, she was makin' up a lie (Laughter, Spoken: I wouldn't too much on her, I told her,)

SPOKEN: "Listen, times are tight, gimme that gum I bought you, baby, and put it in my hand."
I said,"Gimme that gum I bought you 'fore I hurt you, and put it, put it in my hand. Don't say and try to be smart."
I say, "You're just particularly welcome, and to your other man. Good night, baby, and goodbye, too." 

The questions on "Bad Night Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Mott Willis use to play the song?
   * Where did Mott Willis fret the V7 chord that concludes his intro, at :14--:16?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers and please don't post any responses before 8:00 AM your time on Monday, April 28. Thanks for your participation and I hope that you enjoy the songs.
All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 12:26:02 PM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2487 on: August 28, 2023, 03:19:30 AM »
The first one sounds to be in Vestapol, tuned low. The triplets could be sixth fret first string and eighth get second string bent? The dissonant chord sounds like first string open and second string bent at third fret.

The second song is in the same key as the first, but this time in standard tuning, I think. The V7 chord could just be the first and sixth string at the 6th fret? I can’t really figure it out, and it does sound weird!

Offline joe paul

« Reply #2488 on: August 28, 2023, 01:36:54 PM »
I agree with Prof Scratchy pretty much, the first song is I think in Vestapol about a semi-tone low. I hear the triplets at 1m36 on the 2nd and 3rd string at the 12th fret but I'm stumped for the moment on the dissonant chord.
The "Bad Night Blues" sounds to me like it's played out of C standard tuned up a semi-tone, and the V7 the 1st and 4th strings fretted at the 3rd fret, with the root coming in on the 6th string too. Could be wrong though, won't be the first time or the last...
There's some really sweet playing and a great relaxed time to both songs, thanks for these John. I'll try and find that collection that these tunes are on, I'm curious to hear more.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2489 on: August 31, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »
Any other takers for the Mott Willis puzzlers? Come one, come all!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal