collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's the guitar I play all the time. My children wanted to get it for me as a birthday present so they borrowed money from me to buy it - Jerry Ricks, on his Martin D76 guitar (a US Bicentennial model)

Author Topic: Carolina Slim Discography  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
Carolina Slim Discography
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
thought that guy deserved a discography: http://www.wirz.de/music/caroslim.htm
(actually I had a lot of fun finding out all those 'disguises' ;-)
Stefan

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Carolina Slim Discography
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
Thought I'd bump this in light of the latest Roots & Rhythm having a special offer on his Document CD which, despite the caveat in the review below, has in the past received good press in Weenieland (see tags).

CAROLINA SLIM Complete Recorded Works, 1950-52
Blues Documents BDCD 6043   Usual Price = $15.98/ Sale Price = $10.98
27 tracks, 74 mins, very good
Carolina Slim is quite an enigma - between June 1950 and June 1952 he recorded 27 songs. Though his real name was Ed Harris none of his recordings were issued under his real name - although he only recorded for two labels his recordings were issued under the names of Jammin' Jim, Country Paul, Lazy Slim Jim and, of course, Carolina Slim! It's interesting, but probably fruitless, to speculate on why his recordings were issued under so many different names. In spite of his East Coast origins Slim's biggest influence is Texas bluesman Lightnin' Hopkins and many of the songs here seem to be reworkings of Hopkins songs. Unfortunately Slim was neither the singer or guitarist that Lightnin' was. Occasionally he slips out of the Hopkins mould and shows the influence of Blind Boy Fuller on numbers like "Worry You Off My Mind" or "Shake Boogie". It used to be a great thrill collecting and listening to Slim's obscure 78s one at a time but over the 74 minutes of this disc his limitations are too evident. (FS)

Offline oddenda

Re: Carolina Slim Discography
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
Fellow Weenies -

Being the one responsible for assembling the Carolina Slim LP for Joe Fields on Savoy back in the relatively-near day, I remember both the previously unseen photo (on the cover) of Ed, plus some correspondence between Herman Lubinsky and a sheriff in whatever county in NC that Harris was from. Basically, asking if he was an OK n****r or troublesome, or worse. Massa Herman got the OK and the music is history. For all his faults (and there were many), Herman got good results - often he was not the producer, though.

The reviewer is correct, in part, because the stuff was meant to be listened to as the "A" and "B" sides of a 78 single, NOT all collected together on an LP or a CD. That makes it difficult to program those longer forms, especially if one is after completeness in content. The easy way out is to put each session as an entity and let the chips fall where they may. Still think that Carolina Slim (etc) is a keeper, even on the longer format! He must have sold enough to record as much as he did: Lubinsky's habit of multiple names was a way of making his catalog look larger than it actually was! Look at the names he gave Hooker! (In part to get around any contracts!!) Birmingham Sam and his Magic Guitar is still my favorite.

Peter B.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal