collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's what I liked about hitch-hiking. If a crowd wasn't big enough, I kept walkin'- Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222866 times)

Offline Adam Franklin

Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #555 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
Hey everybody, Parlor Picker said to come and introduce myself. So, er, hello.

Certainly looks more friendly than other forums I've seen, so I'm off to have a good look around.......

Looking forward, Adam.

www.adamfranklinblues.com

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #556 on: August 11, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
Welcome Adam!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #557 on: September 08, 2011, 05:58:35 AM »
Hello, my name is Al (Alan) Young; I'm from Auckland, New Zealand and I've been playing and collecting blues for ... well, a day or two -- I bought "Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues" as a new album. So yes, I've got a few miles on the clock. On the playing side, I'm fairly eclectic, but with a strong leaning towards Mississippi and Memphis, and towards slide and steel playing. Long ago I made one LP -- back in vinyl days -- which won the New Zealand Folk Album of the Year award. So I'm one from one ... I never have got around to making any more blues recordings. Big influences: Booker White, Robert Wilkins, Lead Belly, Charley Patton, Son House, Ishmon Bracey, Buddy Woods and Black Ace, Casey Bill, Robert Lockwood .... oh, all the usual greats. I've made a few trips to the United States; even played in three Beale Street Messarounds. I spent about 20 years in various electric bands, but now I'm back to all acoustic.  A few years ago I developed an associated interest in gospel music; as part of that I've written two books, "Woke Me Up This Morning" and "The Pilgrim Jubilees", both published by the University Press of Mississippi (and available thru Amazon ... plug, plug). Also had a few wee pieces published in Blues & Rhythm ... just occasionally. I've already found lots of interesting stuff on Weenie; I'm enjoying learning more and hope I'll be able to contribute some. 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #558 on: September 08, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »
Welcome Al!  We have a weenie (Rivers) who used to live in Auckland!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #559 on: September 08, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
Welcome Al!  We have a weenie (Rivers) who used to live in Auckland!

Yep ... we are acquainted from back in the day.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
Al - I seem to remember being shown your LP by Dave Temple who used to live in Reading and was part of the excellent Kennet Sheiks with Stuart "Marshcat" Cumberpatch. Think you may know Mick Knight as well.

(I'm in the UK - never been to NZ)
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #561 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »
Welcome Al. Good to have a gospel expert around these parts.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #562 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Al - I seem to remember being shown your LP by Dave Temple who used to live in Reading and was part of the excellent Kennet Sheiks with Stuart "Marshcat" Cumberpatch. Think you may know Mick Knight as well.

(I'm in the UK - never been to NZ)

Ain't it a small world... and isn't this a remarkable list? Yes, Dave and I did a lot of work together years ago in New Zealand and Australia (where we even made a living out of it for a short while), and he plays on my old album I know the Kennet Sheiks made at least one album,  which wasn't a thousand miles away from the stuff Dave and I used to do. Haven't heard from him in in yonks; I believe he's in France now. And yes, I used to know Mick Knight; again haven't heard anything of him in ages -- since he left to live in the US 

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #563 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
Yes, Dave lives in France. I've lost touch, but you could always ask Marshcat on this forum, who I believe may still have an address. Mick Knight is from Hastings, the next town to me on the south coast here in England. He moved to Seattle and I believe is still there, having won a green card in a lottery or something.

Yes, it's a small world, Al, especially amongst country blues lovers. Stick around Weenie Campbell, as it has to be the best forum for this type of music and is frequented by some very knowledgeable and influential people.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #564 on: September 10, 2011, 01:38:54 AM »
Hi Al & welcome!

I'll send you a private message with contact details for "Dordogne Dave Temple".

I'd just like to say a big thank you for many years' happy listening to your 80s LP "That's no way to get along" - in the 90s, as the Kennet Sheiks, Dave and I shamelessly appropriated much of that repertoire and I still play a lot of it with National Steel & Delta Echoes.

There's a few mp3 tracks of the Sheiks on our "digital gravestone" at http://www.lemonrock.com/kennetsheiks

Stuart "Marshcat" Cumberpatch

Offline Belgian-T

« Reply #565 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Hi y'all.

Just discoverd this website and it looks like the place I'm searching for.
I'm from Belgium and have a history in playing Chicago Blues (Little Walter, Sonny Boy, Magic Sam, Wolf, ..). Due too circumstances I quit playing electrified 4 years ago.
For little more than a year I'm learning to play acoustic blues and hoping to be able to have the same kind of freedom on my guitar as I had in the past. Hopefully I'll be able one day to play some decent rags as well.

For the moment it's a lot of hard work and fun.

Tom

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #566 on: October 03, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »
Welcome to WC, Tom!

Offline Haans

• J. Brentrup Guitars
« Reply #567 on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
Hi folks!
Been lurking for a while, but finally added my name. I have been an instrument builder for over 40 years, mainly a mandolin builder in the past, but have started building classic fingerpicking guitars again after a 30+ year hiatus. Most of my instruments are Larson style, but have been venturing into Stella 12's, and Prairie State style instruments.
Love 12 string, big Dave Ray fan along with Huddie and Willie. Six string favorites are Big Bill and Blind Blake.
Johann D. Brentrup
http://www.brentrup.com
Traditional fingerpicking guitars

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #568 on: October 05, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
Hi Haans, and welcome to Weenie Campbell!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #569 on: October 06, 2011, 03:20:57 AM »
Welcome Hans - nice website and nice instruments.
Barbecue Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal