collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Next time I marry, I'm gonna marry good. I'm gonna get me somebody don't know a thing about this world - Tony Hollins, Married Woman

Author Topic: Imposters  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: Imposters
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »

As has already been pointed out, in the days before television, movies and other visual media, people had no idea what the people they heard looked like. So, if you could do a passable imitation, you could probably gig as the "real" artist.

I've always been dismayed by having heard, from a number of sources, that Brownie McGhee (not one of my favorite guitarists) began his career passing himself off as Blind Boy Fuller.
  Who would have been taken in by that deception?

Imposters exist to this day.

I've gigged, as a Bass Player, with two different, Sugar Pie DeSantos and I have no idea which of them was the real one. If, in fact, either of them were!

During the '80's, I often played Dobro and Harmonica, on the County Fair circuit with a guy who billed himself as, Country Singer, Red Foley, despite the fact that Red Foley had been dead for many years.

I guess the entertainment industry is built on BS and Hokum and the imposters certainly prove that point.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »
Mike, it's my understanding that billing Brownie McGhee as "Blind Boy Fuller Number 2" was the brainchild of Fuller's and McGhee's manager, J. B. Long.  At least on record labels, I don't think Brownie had much say in the matter. 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »
Although, a good part of Brownie's early recordings sound very influenced by Fuller, to say the least.

Mike, I think that's priceless that you've played with two Sugar Pies. Too funny.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:56:15 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 07:10:30 AM »

Perhaps I should get the two of them together, plus a couple more and start selling Sugar Pie DeSantos franchises and have numerous "Sugar Pies" gigging everywhere?  ;)

Offline RevGeo

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
There was the famous episode of two Fleetwood Macs back in the 70s.
Seems their former manager or somebody stuck an esatz FM on the road during one of the real band's 'difficult times'.

That scene in the movie 'Cadillac Records' where Little Walter shoots an imposter (did that really happen?) kind of points out the rather wide-spread practice of imposters, if nothing else.

Rev George
Never stop playing if a fight breaks out, unless you have to shoot somebody....Chuck West

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »
I'm thinking that should I ever run off to Vegas with some hot crazy chica; I would want to be married by a Blind Lemon Impersonator.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal