collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
In a blog essay posted on the Web site of The American Scholar before Mr. Mitchell's death, Mr. Zinsser said Mr. Mitchell's approach to broken-down pianos (which musicians sometimes encounter on tour) illustrated his approach to life. "I learned long ago that it does no good to complain," Mr. Zinsser recalled Mr. Mitchell telling him. Instead, listen to the keys and put their flatness or sharpness to use. "You say, 'What does it do?' " said Mr. Mitchell, sounding an imaginary clinker on a piano. " 'Will it do anything? Let's check it out' - NY Times obit, reference to http://theamericanscholar.org/what-does-it-do/#.Uj3ivWR4ZEu

Author Topic: Little Sam Davis  (Read 1965 times)

Offline oddenda

Little Sam Davis
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »
Attention, W.C.s -

From other sites I have picked up that Little Sam Davis (MS-born) has suffered a stroke (no comment) and is in hospital in "upstate" New York. I met Sam through the late Dan DelSanto and recorded him in an acoustic setting in Sam's Poughkeepsie apartment w. Dan on guitar - Sam also plays guitar, left-handed. A fine harp player who recorded in the 50s with Earl Hooker in Florida (for Henry Stone), Sammy has a Delmark CD, plus one self-issued. He's 80 years old, and REALLY good. Val Wilmer did a nice piece for MELODY MAKER back when she did one on me... I took her to Smitty's outside of New Paltz, NY specifically to hear him. She described him as the second coming of Little Walter!  

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article.../ENT04/81024014

will get you to the piece in the local newspaper, with photo.

yrs,
     Peter B.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Little Sam Davis
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:09:40 AM »
Somewhere I have that MM feature by Val, I'll see if I can locate it.

More recently there was a really nice feature on him by Doug Price and Paul Secor in the Xmas 1995 issue of Blues and Rhythm. I think he was on the cover of that issue.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:11:17 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »
         http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article.../ENT04/81024014
Due to its length the url seems to have been truncated try so this http://tinyurl.com/6clf52

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »
Snappy dresser too!

Offline oddenda

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:53 AM »
I think it's interesting that the newspaper of his former home-town ran such a long piece on him. My, how the times have changed in Poughkeepsie, NY since I left the area! I hope Bunker Hill can locate that Val Wilmer piece on Sam, too. For a long time Davis disappeared, the direct result of his wife's death. He was playing at Smitty's outside New Paltz, and received a telephone call that his wife had died in hospital - he had been to visit her that afternoon. I was there that night and I watched a man completely fall apart in front of my eyes... I will never forget the poignancy and feeling of despair of that... and a feeling of being unable to DO anything. He tried to keep it together for a while, with the help of [the late] Little Eliot (Lloyd), but basically fell into a bottle and washed away. It took a chance hearing of Doug Price's blues radio show on WVKR when he played Sam's Trix 45, and some of the stuff for Henry Stone: Doug asked the microphone if any one knew where Sammy was. A listener called in and eventually got the two of them together - Sam was back! While Val may have gone overboard comparing him to Walter Jacobs, she wasn't that far off the mark! I hope he'll be back in good health a.s.a.p.

Peter B.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:02:26 AM »
I think it's interesting that the newspaper of his former home-town ran such a long piece on him. My, how the times have changed in Poughkeepsie, NY since I left the area!

As someone who's still in the area, I'd have to say they haven't changed all that much.  The piece was web only.  At least I never saw it in the print edition of the paper.  If it hadn't been for the Levon Helm association, I doubt the article would have appeared even on the web.  Sorry to be such a curmudgeon.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 05:14:59 AM »
dj -

Still, for whatever reason, he got some notice in The Journal in SOME format - too many have gotten no notice at all... ever! Levon Helm and The Band had planned on taking up with and touring with Rice Miller (SBW II), stymied by his death. Levon has had his health problems, and it's a good thing that once recovered that Sam was the next harp cab off the rank! Deservedly. Sam's recordings with Earl Hooker for Henry Stone (in FL) are around on various re-issues - four tunes. His excellent Delmark CD is readily available, while there is also a more recent CD, a DIY effort. He's quite good, folks, so give him a listen. I trust he's on the mend. I'll check w. Doug Price.

Peter B.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »
Sam's recordings with Earl Hooker for Henry Stone (in FL) are around on various re-issues - four tunes.
They're really good just Sam, Hooker and unidentified drummer. It wasn't until the 70s that Nighthawk and Mamlish between them first made the sides available. Check out Stefan's discographies of those two labels. A few years back there was a compilation of Henry Stone recordings (on Ace I think) which included them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal