collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some folks say the Big Bill Blues ain't bad. Musn't have been the Big Bill Blues I had - Big Bill Broonzy, Big Bill Blues

Author Topic: April 1963  (Read 942 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

April 1963
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »
This month marks the 50th anniversary of Blues Unlimited the first English language magazine devoted to blues research and appreciation. It was started by Mike Leadbitter and Simon Napier with an unpaid core of international contributors many of whom, through their numerous books on the subject, are now "household names" to blues fans. Between 1963 and 1965 BU published all the "prewar rediscoveries" news as it happened, the interviews supplied by those who conducted them.

The final issue of BU was published in April 1988 (dated Winter 1987).

Mike died in 1974 (32) and Simon December 1990 (51). John Broven, of the original Bexhill Grammar School trio, is now the only survivor.

http://www.recordsbymail.com/MikeLeadbi ... imited.php

http://www.wirz.de/music/magsfrm.htm

http://ourblues.wordpress.com/2011/10/0 ... -i-and-ii/

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: April 1963
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:55:44 AM »
I wish I had kept some of the copies I bought back in the 1960s. I still have many later editions.

I got to know Simon Napier quite well on regular visits to Flyright Records in Bexhill where he worked with the likes of Bruce Bastin and Robin Gosden. Simon would also often turn up at gigs if Roger Hubbard was playing locally.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:32:52 AM »
I wish I had kept some of the copies I bought back in the 1960s. I still have many later editions.

I got to know Simon Napier quite well on regular visits to Flyright Records in Bexhill where he worked with the likes of Bruce Bastin and Robin Gosden. Simon would also often turn up at gigs if Roger Hubbard was playing locally.
I guess Steve Cushing's forthcoming Pioneers of the Blues Revival (University of Illinois Press) will cover the life and times of BU and its associates in depth.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
Bunker -

Don't count on it - he's too Mississippi/Chicago centric - I've already taken him to task on that. The book is basically from interviews he's done over time and BU is before that time. That means that next year will be fifty years since my first efforts for them! I Even became a sub-editor of some sort before Rowe took over the reins for the final years. Would that all issues of that journal were available on line - same for many others that rose and died in our enthusiasm!

pbl

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:45 AM »
Plenty of old editions available via the Real Blues Forum facebook pages of BU and other periodicals (if they''ll have you PP).

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »
Plenty of old editions available via the Real Blues Forum facebook pages of BU and other periodicals (if they''ll have you PP).
Nothing short of a full frontal lobotomy will get me onto Facebook. :o

Did I hear someone mutter, "that can be arranged?" :)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
I've just been directed to this in current Blues & Rhythm. See sample articles section

http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/archive.html

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Nothing short of a full frontal lobotomy will get me onto Facebook. :o

Did I hear someone mutter, "that can be arranged?" :)

Full frontal lobotomy? Hell--in my case it would require a full decapitation!  :P

Offline CF

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »
Alan, you can join FB for the sole purpose of hanging out at the Real Blues forum & do nothing else, it is a very high traffic group with lots of interesting people & information being shared . . . I think I've even heard myself say out loud, "Alan Balfour should be hanging out here". It's like a home away from Weenie home  :)
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
the Arthur Crudup article is nicely done, and complements my listening trends these days.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:46:41 AM »
"frontal lobotomy" --- "full decapitation"  :P

... what cheapfeet said !!!
and BTW: Facebookophibia seems to be some real heavy case of a disease for those suffering from it, but each one's got to find her/his own beelzebub - no problem for the irreligious ;)

Tags: magazines Article 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal