collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues is a bantering conversation on, for the most part, the subjects of sex, love, anxiety, and travel, that was little different from the idle back-and-forth talk that might have been overheard in a 1930s barrelhouse. - Michael Taft, review of Barrelhouse Words by Stephen Calt

Author Topic: New Robert Johnson photo?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: New Robert Johnson photo?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »
Bruce uploaded his Living Blues piece, "The Business of Robert Johnson Fakery." Here's the link:

https://www.academia.edu/21463076/The_Business_of_Robert_Johnson_Fakery

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
So, I went to download the paper.  Man, that was an experience.  Had to list my occupation (retired old fart)...and wanted to know who I was affiliated with.....
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »
Hi Ross:

When I first signed up for Academia.edu a while back, it was pretty straight forward. I was directed there when I was searching for an article on some non-music related subject, probably history. There were a few questions, but nothing that I considered invasive. Plus, there were a boxes to check for areas of interest, that's how / why I get the notification regarding recent uploads.

I agree that some of the info that these sites want is way beyond reasonable. I can understand them wanting some info so they can notify us when something of possible interest gets posted, but man, after a certain point, give me a break!

Anyway, the scan of the article (as uploaded to Academia.edu) is attached so others don't have to go through the ordeal you did.

Offline harriet

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
From the company's coca cola site in the UK - coke bottles over 6.5 oz were introduced in 1955:
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/stories/history/heritage/contour-bottle-history/

Bruce also uploaded a computer analysis using the exact photos used for the alleged "authenication" to his facebook page at least - it may also be on youtube. 

Thank you Stuart for the article.

Harriet
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:10:29 PM by harriet »

Offline bluesprof

• Howdy!
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »
Yes, the video is on youtube.  There are two analyses:  one using the Hooks brothers photo and one using the exact same version of the dime store photo that Gibson used in her "authentication."

Offline wreid75

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
Now I think we have missed this on.  This I believe is Willie Brown.  You see we know what an old man Willie looks like due to the movie crossroads.  Now look at the young man in the picture and squint really hard, to the point it is kind of blurry.  Now imagine that image as an old man.  Ta da!  Willie Brown folks!

Offline Shovel

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 05:50:23 AM »
FWIW, for years there has been a rumor of a dealer out at Canton TX Flea Market who is reported to have procured a photograph with Robert Johnson and Ike Zimmerman together in it.  I saw a copy of the photo last month.  In it, I can confirm that there are indeed two young african american men.   No doubt about it.  One (reportedly, Robert Johnson) is kind of crouched lower in front of the photo, with the other young man (reportedly Zimmerman) kind of behind him and to the left.  Leaving blues musicians out of it, the most interesting thing about this photo is the fact that Ike (I'll call him that) is holding a gun held up to Robert's (supposed) head.  Now, I've got to tell you, this photo was from, probably, a 1930s photo booth. And the two are clearly acquaintances if not friends, and are clowning around.  No smiles or anything, but it seems safe that no one's makers are about to be met as a result of this gunplay.  Horseplay even. 
As for the crouching, apparently unarmed gentleman being Robert Johnson, well I'm not an expert like the folks who have been in the business of confirming these recently.  Which is to say, I don't have any experience in that field nor any skin in that game.  I'll say the guy resembled a young, vaguely chubby acquaintance of someone who definitely could have known Robert Johnson, or at least known someone who owned one of his records, no doubt about it. 

Offline bluesprof

• Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
I've heard about that photo too and would love to see a copy of it because I could identify Ike in an instant.  Identifying Johnson wouldn't be hard either because he would have resembled a slightly younger version of the Hook's brothers photo.  But if it was Ike then the photo would have had to have been from 1931 at the latest, and Johnson would have only been 20.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal