collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Among this pack of cranks, where nuts are not only tolerated, but a welcome part of the social landscape, (78 collector) Bussard is the odd man out of the oddballs: an unschooled and profane "pure cracker" (in the words of a fellow collector) among a bunch of mostly urbane Northerners - Joe Bussard, story by Eddie Dean, washingtoncitypaper.com

Linked Events

• Andy Cohen Seattle House Concert: May 10, 2012

Author Topic: Andy Cohen Seattle House Concert -- This Thursday, May 10th  (Read 861 times)

Offline WB

• Howdy!
Thursday, May 10th
Andy Cohen House Concert at Bruce & Bonnie's near Columbia City.  Andy's spent a lifetime mastering the ragtime and country blues guitar style exemplified by such players as Reverend Gary Davis, Big Bill Broonzy and many others.  He's a powerful performer with great style and technique augmented by a knowledge of the music that is at once scholarly and personal.  This is a rare chance to hear the Memphis-based Andy on the west coast; he's not been here since the 2003 PT Country Blues Festival.  7:30 pm at Bruce & Bonnie's house near Columbia City. Suggested donation $10 (kids half).  For directions and more info, contact us@wbandbonnie.com or 206-723-7684.  RSVP very helpful but not required.  And see http://www.andycohenmusic.net/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:50:14 PM by Slack »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Andy Cohen Seattle House Concert -- This Thursday, May 10th
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »
$10. Andy's a tremendous player. No brainer, west coast weenies.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »

A Daddy Stovepipe tune from 1923 or 4. A talking blues. Jimmy Rodgers followed by Memphis Minnie. Two celtic tunes, one he wrote hisself. Two from Gary Davis, one by Jelly Roll Morton, followed by 15 minutes of homemade beer, good bread and cheese, gossip. Second set: five tunes on a dulceola, including ?What Are They Doing in Heaven Today? and a Memphis Slim song. That bears repeating: last night I heard someone play Memphis Slim?s minimalist masterpiece, Bertha Mae, on a bloody dulceola! Songs by Barbecue Bob, Bukka White, and Furry Lewis, a great slide rendition of Casey Jones with lots of sound effects. Ended the show with a tricked-out version of Broonzy?s Mopper Blues. He did a half-dozen other songs I didn?t write down, played on a six-string banjo, autoharp, dulceola, or a Gibson whose odometer must?ve turned over at least twice by now. Everything done at a level of musicianship that comes from 40 years of dedication. The Road Warrior will be in Portland tonight, Eugene Saturday night, then on down the left coast. If you?re within 100 miles of one of his shows, please go and give more than the suggested donation, you?ll be amply rewarded. Fifteen hardcores last night. Thank you Bruce and Bonnie.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
Thanks for the report, lindy. That's a great looking string of players and tunes. I'm jealous.

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
Wait... What?!  Andy Cohen's HERE tonight?!?  WHERE?!?!?  Can't find any info....

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
Mike:

I suggest you call Bruce at 206-723-7684. Now that you mention it, I did not hear that he is giving a house concert in your town tonight, all I heard was him saying "How long to drive to Portland tomorrow, and how far is Eugene?"

I apologize if my mind filled in too many gaps here. I checked Andy's website (andycohenmusic.net) and it didn't even list last night's house concert.

Lindy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:28:05 PM by lindy »

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »
Ahh, I see.  Well, there's nothing on his facebook about playing here either.  Prob'ly just passin' through...  I'm fighting off a cold anyways, so I won't bother Bruce.  Oh well...   :(

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »

Promotion doesn't seem to be Andy's strong point. I'd check his website and call/send an email, maybe he'll be in the area for a few days.

L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal