Country Blues > Country Blues Licks and Lessons

Leadbelly - Ella Speed

<< < (2/2)

ThatGuyWithThe12Stringer:
Sure is! I've figured out the chords, now I just have to figure out how he plays them!
He seems to use the normal fingerpicking style A, but I can't figure out if his D chord is the normal D shape, or the C7 or B7 shape up at the 5th fret.  :(
And I still need to figure out those bass runs.
If anyone else has figured it out, I'd absolutely love to hear about it!
Thanks,
T.G. (ThatGuy)

frailer24:
It's been many a year since I've had a 12 string to use, but I remember using the B7 up the neck for the D.

ThatGuyWithThe12Stringer:

--- Quote from: frailer24 on June 29, 2022, 03:06:57 AM ---It's been many a year since I've had a 12 string to use, but I remember using the B7 up the neck for the D.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, did you play the G as an F shape as I do with the c7 shape for the D?

I've found that most of the time it's easier to play it when I actually manage to figure out the right shapes...

I wish there was more footage/recordings of him earlier in his career. It's intetestimg how bis style transformed from the 30s to the late 40s; being more ragtime like, almost like BwMcT early on, and eventually becoming a bit more (though not too much) like the white folksingers he hung around later on.

frailer24:

--- Quote from: ThatGuyWithThe12Stringer on March 08, 2023, 03:48:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: frailer24 on June 29, 2022, 03:06:57 AM ---It's been many a year since I've had a 12 string to use, but I remember using the B7 up the neck for the D.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, did you play the G as an F shape as I do with the c7 shape for the D?

I've found that most of the time it's easier to play it when I actually manage to figure out the right shapes...

I wish there was more footage/recordings of him earlier in his career. It's intetestimg how bis style transformed from the 30s to the late 40s; being more ragtime like, almost like BwMcT early on, and eventually becoming a bit more (though not too much) like the white folksingers he hung around later on.

--- End quote ---

I used a G shape every time. Tried an F, and it didn't quite fit right to my ear. I too, wish there had been more footage shot of him, at any point in his career!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version