collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues - that is a feeling that makes you feel very bad. The blues'll give you sickness - from there's a pain you've never had. Now here's the way the blues go - it'll jump on you early in the morning. It'll worry you 'til you go to sleep. Then after you fall to sleep, you get to dreamin' them bad old dreams and it give you nothing but the bad old midnight creeps - Lightnin' Hopkins', spoken intro to Blues Is A Feeling

Author Topic: Kirk McGee Video  (Read 3493 times)

Offline bnemerov

Kirk McGee Video
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »
My filmmaker friend Blaine Dunlap has posted outtake footage at Vimeo

This is an interview and music by one of Uncle Dave's musicians in the 20s & 30s.
Raw footage from the PBS Uncle Dave doc....1st minute of set-up included. ;)

not pre-war blues exactly, but great stuff.....Cleoma, frankie, ??, might like it.

best,
bruce

hope the hyperlink-thingy worked.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Kirk McGee Video
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the clip of Kirk McGee, Bruce. He recorded one of the most interesting versions of "Salty Dog" I ever heard, with Sid Harkreader on fiddle, I think, very spooky.
All best,
Johnm

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
Hey John,
Yep, that late-1920s minorish version is cool and Fiddlin' Sid draws the most astringent tone from the violin. But I think it's brother Sam doing the singing & guitar.

Kirk bailed out on the music business after having played with Macon for a few years in the early 1920s, if I recollect. He came back to it in the 1930s with Arthur Smith, but again, just for a year or two.

Best,
Bruce

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »
Hi Bruce,
The English re-issue I heard had Kirk as the guitarist, and I remember it impressed me because I never had known him to play guitar.  It's nothing like as exciting as Sam's playing from the same period, certainly serviceable, but with that interesting harmony, as you noted.  Maybe the record had it wrong--anybody have the Tony Russell book?  I'm curious.
All best,
Johnm

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:41:21 AM »
I'm curious too, John.
I was hoping you had the Russell discog.
I can get to one later this week, unless someone posts sooner.
I'm basing the Sam possibility based on aural evidence....voice sounds like Sam to me (based on a bad dub of a ragged-out 78).
best,
bruce

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
Love this video. Thanks for posting.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »
Hi Bruce,
The English re-issue I heard had Kirk as the guitarist, and I remember it impressed me because I never had known him to play guitar.  It's nothing like as exciting as Sam's playing from the same period, certainly serviceable, but with that interesting harmony, as you noted.  Maybe the record had it wrong--anybody have the Tony Russell book?  I'm curious.
All best,
Johnm

I always assumed that it was Sam on guitar and Kirk on fiddle on that tune, with Sam on vocals, same as on Salt Lake City Blues. That tune and most of their others were recorded at the same sessions as Uncle Dave's Fruit Jar Drinker records in May 1927, IIRC. Fiddlin' Sid wasn't there -- the personnel on the Macon records is Sam on guitar, Uncle Dave banjo, Kirk and Mazy Todd on fiddles, Kirk on occasional mandolin. It's Todd I believe who plays fiddle on Charming Bill, where the banjo at least to my ears is by Kirk; I can't remember on Old Master's Runaway if there are two fiddles or not, but the banjo on that track sounds like it could be Uncle Dave.
Chris

Offline eric

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »
Salty Dog Blues Vocalion 5150 has Kirk McGee, fiddle and vocal, Sam McGee, guitar according to Tony Russell's discography.  Two takes, same personnel. 
--
Eric

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »
thanks for posting this, bruce - it's wonderful!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
Thanks for posting Bruce - a very good interview!

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 10:45:58 PM »
Thanks for that Elder H.
I trust the Hillbilly discography. Tony and Charles Wolfe and Bob Pinson (and several others) worked very hard for over a decade on it and, through Pinson who worked at the Country Music Foundation, had access to a lot of record co. session sheets.
 Charles is the off camera voice leading the interview with Kirk.
But, gee, the fiddling doesn't sound like Kirk...I always thought he got a bigger, fuller tone than that.
Maybe the Master was sped up ;D
Glad you all are digging Kirk, He was a good one.
bruce

Offline unezrider

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
hello friend,
very cool! i really enjoyed that. i absolutely love all things uncle dave. thanks!
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline eric

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 02:25:21 AM »
Maybe the Master was sped up
:D
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for clearing up the mystery personnel on "Salty Dog", Eric.  It is such a great cut.  I love that interview with Kirk.  When I saw those guys play with Arthur Smith, they had so much fun--and the music was terrific, too, which didn't hurt!  I loved hearing Arthur Smith sing "House of David Blues".  What a great number.  I was thirteen years old at the time and even then knew it was really special to see them and Maybelle Carter.  Mike Seeger put the show together, and he did so much over the years to honor older musicians and see that they continued to have opportunities to perform.  There are so many people we never would have heard, apart from recordings, had it not been for his efforts.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:17:33 PM by Johnm »

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
John,
Amen!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal