collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The secret of music is in the altos and the baltos... it's in the highness and the lowness of the pitch - Son House

Author Topic: New feature - tag index navigation  (Read 935 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
New feature - tag index navigation
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
As a spin-off from some work going on behind the scenes migrating the WC.com to the latest releases of the various software packages we have added some navigation enhancements to the current tags index. Tagging on WC.com has been very successful and as a result the combined tag index is becoming very long. This will help you to jump around, assuming you know what you're looking for.

So what has changed. If you click on the Tags button (above) look to the top right of the tag index page you will see a list of alphabetic characters, A, B, C, etc. By clicking on one you can jump to the start of the alphabet letter you're interested in. For example, you're looking for 'Ma Rainey' tags. You can click on the letter M at the top right of the tag index to jump to the start of entries beginning with 'M'. There is also a 'Top' link at the bottom of the page, self explanatory.

Check it out: either click on the Tags button at the top of this page, or be lazy like me and click here: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?page=tagsindex

Also, you can create a link to the index going to a particular letter, should you want to. The direct link to go to the start of entries for the letter 'M' for example would be: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;action=tagsindex#M

No big deal this one. But there's lots more to come when we get the new software(s) fully sorted. We thought we'd share this enhancement now because it's easy to do.

[please also review the guidelines, tagging on here is not like tagging on any old social networking site, we aim to keep our tags focused and useful. Guidelines are here: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&option=com_smf&Itemid=114&topic=3073.0]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:10:12 PM by Rivers »

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: New feature - tag index navigation
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »
With this new facility of being able to jump to different parts of the alphabet brings into sharp relief the number of duplicates. I suppose the most noticeable are names where the convention of upper case for the initial letter of name & surname haven't been adhered to thereby creating duplicates. I've change about a dozen so far so but have stopped at "banjochris" because I can't fathom why this has duplicated because the format in both instances seems correct.

Did I hear somebody yell, GET A LIFE THAT MAN?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »
Hi Bunker Hill,
Speaking as someone who engages in tag maintenance from time to time, I think a lot of the problems with duplicate tags arise from tags not being entered correctly.  Whenever I encounter duplicate tag listings with exactly the same spellings, almost invariably the lion's share of threads will be on one of the tags and only one thread will be on the other tag.  In such an instance, I go to the thread that has a tag to itself, delete all the tags and re-enter them one at a time, and the problem goes away.  Now, wasn't that almost interesting?
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
but have stopped at "banjochris" because I can't fathom why this has duplicated because the format in both instances seems correct.

I'll bet one of them has a blank at the end.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
Hi Bunker Hill,
I took care of the problem you cited.  Just as a tip for folks entering tags, they're less likely to get screwed up if you enter them one at a time, and it doesn't take all that much longer.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
Good advice there Mr. Miller. Add the tags after you've posted; adding them at posting time is much more error prone.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
I've changed about a dozen so far

Good on you BH, much appreciated. One day we will have the ultimate fault-tolerant tagging system.
Until then we'll need to do the occasional sweep to tidy things up.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:43:29 PM by Rivers »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:24:12 AM »
I'll bet one of them has a blank at the end.
That's the answer. There were two Blind Blake tags, one contained 27, the other 6. The one containing six all had a blank at the beginning, once deleted and re-input those joined the other 27.

I've noticed that in the tags list those incorrectly input always come second, so one doesn't have to open up each of the two to spot which contains the before/spaces. Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:31:09 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:40:48 AM »
I've noticed that in the tags list those incorrectly input always come second, so one doesn't have to open up each of the two to spot which contains the before/spaces. Does that make sense?

Of course--think zeros and ones.

Tags: tags 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal