collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Charlie hated work like God hates sin. He just natural-born hated it. It didn't look right to him - Charlie Patton, remembered by Son House

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79227 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: New John Miller Website
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »
Johnm, I updated the subject title for you.  There are lots of New Websites, but only one new John Miller website.  ;)

Offline Laura

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
As you know John, I think this is an excellent idea.  However much I love receiving international airmail, the impatient side of me wants to get started right away.

Having just received one of John's lessons by mp3 I must say I was very impressed by both quality and content - highly recommended.  Keep up the good work!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
Thanks for changing the thread title, John D., I hadn't thought of that, and I appreciate it!

I thought you would like the change, Laura, and thanks for the good words.  One other nice aspect of the virtual lessons vs. the hard copy, is that the virtual lessons cost the same worldwide, at what was formerly the lower, U.S.-only rate.  And I hope you'll keep posting more tunes--you sound great!

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
Hi all,
I've been away for a week and returned to discover that there had apparently been a discussion centering around consternation that I do not have a performance calendar posted on my website.  Most of my performing in recent years has been close to home, and is more effectively promoted via emailing and facebook announcements.  I like my life at home and determined some time ago that I preferred spending the greater part of my time there, as opposed to living the life of a touring musician.  I make no apologies for my personal or professional choices--they are mine to make.  And if some people choose to make assumptions about the music I play or who I am without ever having heard the music or met me, based on the simple fact that my website does not have a performance calendar, I can live with that.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
Hey folks, toput Johnm's post in context and as a follow-up, we got rid of the discussion that contained personal attacks and false accusations. No one is above criticism but the discussion was pointless and without merit. Who needs that.

Onward!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
Hi all,
I've recently transcribed several tunes that some of you might find interesting, and they're all listed in the "Teaching" section at my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com.  Included among them are:
   * Buddy Moss--"Baby, You're the One For Me", "Too Doggone Jealous" and "Let's Sit Here Tonight"
   * Little Hat Jones--"Rolled From Side to Side Blues" and "Corpus Blues"
   * Bob Campbell--"Starvation Farm Blues" and "Shotgun Blues"
   * J .T. "Funny Papa" Smith--"Wiskeyhead Blues"
   * George Torey--"Lonesome Man Blues
   * Lucious Curtis--"High Lonesome Hill
"Wiskeyhead Blues" is in cross-note tuning and "Lonesome Man Blues" is in EAEGBE tuning.  Lessons include TAB and a thorough talk-through of the playing of the piece, left and right hand economies, etc.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
Hi all,
I've recently transcribed a number of tunes that some of you may be interested in learning.  They're all listed in the "Teaching" section at my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, which tells how to order lessons, too.  The songs include:
   * "Casey Jones" by Mance Lipscomb.  This is in F, and Mance's entire performance is transcribed.
   * "Going Away To Wear You Off My Mind" and "How Long, How Long Blues" by Babe Stovall, both in G, "Going Away" is particularly strong and an original approach to playing in G.
   * "Tricks Ain't Walkin' No More"--Buddy Moss.  In C, Buddy's entire performance is transcribed.
   * "Rocks In My Pillow" by Roosevelt Holts.  In E
   * "Let Your Deal Go Down" by Joe Callicott.  Beautiful song in C with lots of subtleties.
   * "If I Call You Mama" by Luke Jordan.  Similar to his "Church Bells Blues", instrumentally, but if anything, better yet.
   * "I'm So Glad" and "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" by Skip James
   * "Guitar Blues" by Johnny St. Cyr.  A spectacular blues by Jelly Roll Morton's guitarist that modulates from A to D and back.  A downloadable .mp3 of it can be found in this thread:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8305.msg67221#msg67221

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:13:32 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
Hi folks,
For any of you who might be interested in internet lessons, I've added some new transcriptions my pre-transcribed list of tunes at my website.  Included among them are:
   * Robert Petway's "Catfish Blues", beginning to end
   * Herman E. Johnson's "Depression Blues"
   * Leadbelly's "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" and "How Come You Do Me Like You Do"
   * Joe Callicot's "Roll and Tumble" and "Fare Thee Well Blues" (both from Fat Possum)
   * My own "New Cairo Blues"
   * The Carter Family's "I Ain't Gonna Work Tomorrow" and "Single Girl, Married Girl"
If you're interested, go to the Teaching section at www.johnmillerguitar.com, and the various options for ordering lessons are outlined, as well as a master list of Country Blues songs I've transcribed.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
Hi all,
I recently had my website re-designed, and in the Recordings section, it is now possible to order any of the CDs I'm on direct, via Paypal, with incentives for multiple CD orders.  There are sound samples so you can get an idea of the different CDs.  Also, the updated list of Country Blues tunes I've transcribed and offer lessons on (with or without TAB) is now well over 200 songs and can be found in the Teaching section of the website.  Please check out www.johnmillerguitar.com if you are so inclined.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
Site is looking good John!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 05:32:39 PM »
Yes, it looks great John - your musical accomplishment is amazing, and very impressive!  Wow, 200 transcribed songs... and I was there at those humble beginnings! Heh...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
Thanks, guys, I hope something comes of it.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
Great John! :)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Hi all,
For any of you who might be interested in learning a song or songs in the EAEGBE tuning after the recent discussion of that tuning here on site, I offer lessons in the following songs that were played in that tuning:
   * "Cairo Blues"--Henry Spaulding
   * "California Desert Blues"--Lane Hardin
   * "Lonesome Man Blues"--George Torey
   * "Blues Without A Dime"--Clifford Gibson
   * "New Prison Blues"--Peg Leg Howell
   * "Mamlish Blues"--Ed Bell
   * "Jelly Roll Blues"--Furry Lewis
If you go to http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html , you'll find all these songs and others I've transcribed that are available for lessons, along with instructions on how to go about ordering lessons.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
Hi Johnm, I just visited your site for the first time. In the near future I would be interested in getting some of your transcribed songs/mp3 lessons. I was just wondering, are the transcriptions of the complete songs? There are some Blind Blake tunes I would be interested in. Also I have some ideas for a request or two for a new transcription for Blake and possible Willie McTell. But that is a conversation for future days when I have the funds set aside. My main questions is how complete are the transcritpions? or does it very with some complete and some with the main breaks and typical verse structure sort of deal?

Thanks,

Tags: John Miller 2017 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal