collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I have the freight train blues, boxcars on my mind - Bill Jackson, Freight Train Blues

Author Topic: Andrew Rose working on Charley Patton  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Andrew Rose working on Charley Patton
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
Hear hear Richard, exactly what I was trying to say.

[edit: just wanted to question Eldergreene's point earlier, viz. "since none of us can actually KNOW what the in-the-room-at-the-time sound was". I believe on the contrary we have a pretty good idea of what all permutations of acoustic instrument and vocals could sound like 'in the wild', and in addition can pick up the emotional intensity that was in play. What I crave are more of the fine details. The details can also differentiate and/or associate one artist's set of permutations from/to another, and there's a whole world of interest buried in there.]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:39:20 PM by Rivers »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »
I just feel that we are so lucky to have this music available in any format that I really can't expend energy worrying about the how's and why's of reissues and  so I get on with listening the music I love in any listenable sound.

Why knock a guy who is attempting to do something better - whether we think he has succeeded or not - at least he has done more than most of us in trying.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:46:16 AM by blueshome »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 03:49:20 AM »
Phil, I couldn't agree more.

And let's face it, if Mr Rose's CDs were the only ones out there you'd all be singing his praises not knocking it.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
I can't find reasons to knock it either.  I suspect I'm like many here in that it is very difficult for me to listen to this music without imagining playing it, trying to figure out how to play it as I listen.  I did notice the digital artifacts, minor irritation to me compared to surface noise - which often gets in the way.  From a players perspective, any attempt at cleaning up the sound I think is welcome -- but maybe not enough to necessarily make it worth buying.

Tags: Charlie Patton  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal