collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I was hitch-hiking, people had to follow me, 'cause I didn't stay long - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Poplin Family "Sugar Baby" lyric request  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Poplin Family "Sugar Baby" lyric request
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 06:59:49 AM »
Yes, I'd heard of Dominque chickens, Dominicker must be country slang.  UB, if they are talking about killing something, then consult the chicken list  :P - I'm sure they ate a lot of chicken.

The first line sounds right on to me too.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »
Hi all,
I always think of a dominicker rooster from Arthur Smith's "House of David Blues"--

Well, the dominicker rooster and the bow-legged hen
   They go together but they ain't no kin

All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
First cenotaph, now dominicker.  This forum sure does enrich one's vocabulary.   ;D

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
Dominecker is the country term that relates to any speckled gray/black and white chicken.  Usually Barred Rocks and Dominques, the two breeds that display these traits.  The Poplin Family holds a place for us here in SC because they are neither politicians or have found Argentina via the AT.  There are family members in the Columbia area but they are not currently playing music out.  They run a salvage as well.

Their one Folkways album is a real treat and a fine example of old time music in the Palmetto State in the 1960's.

RobBob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 01:40:26 AM »
I can't resist this somewhat off topic reminiscence.

In 1966 I purchased from Dobell's record shop in London a copy of Party Blues on Malodeon, the Dick Spottswood enterprise. When I got it home inside the sleeve was not said record but the Malodeon reissue of the Folkways Poplin Family LP. On returning it Ray Bolden, the shop's manager, gave me the correct piece of vinyl but couldn't find the sleeve of said Poplin Family LP. Generous to a fault Ray suggested I keep it as he would have problems selling it without the sleeve. I turned it down saying it wasn't my thing. If I knew then what I know now.....  :(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:41:35 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 04:36:46 AM »
... the Malodeon reissue of the Folkways Poplin Family LP ...

... as I just learnt from that Poplin family blog posted above the Melodeon LP is NOT a reissue of the Folkways LP --- just corrected my Melodeon Records discography accordingly ...
... a still better moniker for that label could be "Maladeon Records", couldn't it  >:D
Stefan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal