collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
No matter what a young person thinks he or she is really hot stuff at doing, he or she is sooner or later going to run into somebody in the same field who will cut him or her a new asshole, so to speak - Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

Author Topic: Unable to download music  (Read 6502 times)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
Re: Unable to download music
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 07:35:17 PM »
Well, that didn't work either. No need to switch it back on my behalf. I've probably got this thing so screwed up that it probably won't work, even if you do switch it back. No use screwing it up for other people that know how to make it work. I can keep busy with 78's in the mean time.

Thanks again for everything guys. I don't think I can handle any more for now. After all; I may have to go through this again after I move.

Regards, Phil

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »
Slack:

The RealPlayer home page says that it supports "AAC/aacPlus v1 (.aac, .m4a, .m4b, .mp4, .acp, .m4p)," but I don't know whether this applies to the Mac version.

I think that if you can get a 24 K stream up for RealOne it will definitely help matters for the Apple dial-up folks. My son brought home his G5 PowerBook, so when time permits, we'll try RealPlayer on the Mac OS side and see what happens.

Phil:

Your post came through as I was writing this--after you installed RealPlayer, did you click on the RealOne icon in the Juke selection menu?

Like I said, we'll try a few things here over the next couple of days. In addition, my daughter returns tomorrow night and her boyfriend is another Mac wiz. When he gets in I'll see if he has any advice.

Don't worry about screwing things up, as un-screwing things up is just a matter of uninstalling the programs, putting some things in the trash, and changing a few settings. Don't worry 'bout nothin', 'cause everything's gonna be alright! (Eventually  ;))

Regards,

Stuart

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 08:27:21 PM »
Stuart, I didn't click the Real Player button after the initial download, however I did after I read your post and I think it is a 48k stream. But I didn't get anything anyway. However, I've put so many things in and out of the trash, that who knows what I have installed or not installed.

I can get the Juke through the Winamp and itunes MP3 buttons, but because I'm on dial-up, the network keeps stalling. From the 24k buttons, I can't get a peep.

regards, Phil

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006, 10:04:18 PM »
Hi Phil:

It might just be that in spite of everything, the connection isn't fast enough to get your computer the song data sufficiently fast so that the songs play smoothly without stalling. There is also some screen data (a new screen with refresh at song changes) coming through periodically and this extra data may just be enough to cause the song to "stall" (the audio portion gets "crowded out" and slowed down and as a result has to play "catch up"--thus the stall). You might try first connecting to the Juke with your audio player and then closing your browser to see what happens. Perhaps without the visual data coming through you'll get a smooth stream, but of course the trade off is that you won't have the song/ album info--just like the old radio days, but without the DJ.

Then again, as you say, there's always waiting until you get DSL.

I'll see if my kids and their friends have any suggestions, but for now, try closing the browser to see what happens.

I wish that I could be of more help, but troubleshooting can be problematic from a distance.

My Best,

Stuart

boots

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 07:39:25 AM »
Real wasn't a good idea. It tries to take over your life. VLC works well with me  OSX 10.4.8. If you wish to persist with it at any time a PM or an e-mail is all it takes.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 09:36:12 AM »
I agree that Real Player is a pain in the bum it's like M$ XP, Norton, Nero etc etc etc and tries to take over the world  (I'm using Linux today!) so try RealAltenative or as you say VCL is very good  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

boots

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
RealAlternative not an option for Mac.  :(

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2006, 01:22:11 AM »
Oh, a Mac  :-X well you will get better eventually  ;D
(That's enough of that. Ed)