collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She runs a weenie stand, way out in no man's land, oh boy, that's where my money goes - Riley Puckett, Nobody's Business

Author Topic: Evening Prayer Blues/DeFord Bailey  (Read 2089 times)

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
Evening Prayer Blues/DeFord Bailey
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:38:19 PM »
Hi gang,
Anyone out there know if this tune ever made it to a recording at all? I recently heard Bill Monroe's recording of it (inspired by DeFord's harmonica tune) on the LP "Master of Bluegrass". I'd love to hear the original. Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Evening Prayer Blues/DeFord Bailey
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:03:08 AM »
Bailey recorded Evening Prayer Blues for Brunswick on April 19, 1927.  It's on Document CD 5164, Harp Blowers (1925 - 1936), which is not currently available but can be downloaded from emusic.

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 08:08:37 AM »
Excellent. Thanks!

arcane

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:54:02 AM »
A favorite tune of mine.

Mike Compton and David Long do mandolin interpretations of both Bailey's and Monroe's versions on their Stomp cd. www.mikecompton.net.

I think there is also video of them playing this at a house concert at the JohnHartford.org site.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:22:10 AM by arcane »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:38:26 AM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell, arcane!  Another excellent version of "Evening Prayer Blues" can be found on the CD "Thought I Heard It Blow", by Mark Graham and Tom Sauber, subtitled "Fiddle Tunes, Blues, Rags, Traditional & Original Songs with Banjo & Harmonica".  Some of you may know Mark from years past at Port Townsend; he is a perfectly amazing harmonica player and excellent satiric songwriter, and often performs Orville Johnson as the "Kings of Mongrel Folk".  Tom Sauber is a master Old-Time fiddler, banjo player and guitarist.  Their CD is on Upland Records, Upland 201, and inquiries can be directed to 512 E. Wistaria Avenue, Arcadia, CA 91006
All best,
Johnm

arcane

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:46:40 AM »
Johnm,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip. Actually, I've been around for a while but lost my handle and password somewhere when I got a new computer and changed ISP, and had to spring for a new one to post.

RK

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal